Integration by Parts: int_0^4 [ e^(-x) sin(5pi x) ] dx

canaanbowman

[math]\int_0 ^4[e^{-x} \sin(5\pi x)]dx[/math]
I integrated by parts and got this for an indefinite integral:

[math]F(x)=-\frac{1}{26}[5e^{-x}\cos(5\pi x)+e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)]+C[/math]
When I evaluate the definite integral in the original problem by finding [math]F(4)-F(0)[/math]
I get 0.188785.

However, when I evaluate the integral directly using NINT on a graphing calculator I get 0.0622437.

I have double checked my integral by differentiating and it comes out right. Am I missing something or could the integral be giving the calculator a stroke?

Did you check the angle set to radians instead of degrees in the calculator?

My guess is telling me that you did something wrong while integrating by parts.

Last edited:

I did check that it was in radians. I can find no error in the integrating by parts. When you take the derivative of what I have for F(X) it goes right back to the expression in the integrand.

Try differentiating your [imath]F(x)[/imath] to see if you got it right. Hint: you did not.
As for the numerical value, it looks correct to me.

I did check that it was in radians. I can find no error in the integrating by parts. When you take the derivative of what I have for F(X) it goes right back to the expression in the integrand.

Here is my work for integrating by parts using the formula: [math]\int u\ dv=uv-\int v\ du[/math]
[math]\int e^{-x}\sin({5\pi x})dx[/math]
[math]u=e^{-x}\ \ \ \ \ du=-e^{-x}\ dx\ \ \ \ \ dv=\sin(5\pi x)\ dx\ \ \ \ \ v=-\frac{1}{5}\cos(5\pi x)[/math]
[math]\int e^{-x}\sin({5\pi x})dx=-\frac{1}{5}e^{-x}\cos(5\pi x)-\int\frac{1}{5}\cos(5\pi x)e^{-x}dx[/math]
Again using the formula for the integral at the end:

[math]u=\frac{1}{5}e^{-x}\ \ \ \ \ du=-\frac{1}{5}e^{-x}dx\ \ \ \ \ dv=\cos(5\pi x)\ dx\ \ \ \ \ v=\frac{1}{5}\sin(5\pi x)[/math]
[math]\int e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)=-\frac{1}{5}e^{-x}\cos(5\pi x)-\bigg[\frac{1}{25}e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)-\int -\frac{1}{25}e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)dx]\bigg][/math]
[math]\int e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)=-\frac{1}{5}e^{-x}\cos(5\pi x)-\frac{1}{25}e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)-\frac{1}{25}\int e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)dx[/math]
[math]\frac{26}{25}\int e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)=-\frac{1}{5}e^{-x}\cos(5\pi x)-\frac{1}{25}e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)[/math]
[math]\int e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)=-\frac{5}{26}e^{-x}\cos(5\pi x)-\frac{1}{26}e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)+C[/math]
[math]\int e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)=-\frac{1}{26}\bigg[5e^{-x}\cos(5\pi x)+e^{-x}\sin(5\pi x)\bigg]+C[/math]