Integration by parts

thatstheguy9

[MATH] \int e^xsin(x) dx [/MATH]
For this problem I chose to let:
[MATH] u = sin(x), du = cos(x)dx [/MATH] AND
[MATH] dv = e^x dx, v = e^x [/MATH]
Therefore
[MATH]\int sin(x)e^x = sin(x)e^x - \int e^x cos(x) dx[/MATH][MATH] \int sin(x)e^x = sin(x)e^x -e^xcos(x) [/MATH][MATH]\int sin(x)e^x = e^x(sin(x) - cos(x)) + C [/MATH]
Other solutions choose to let u = e^x and vice versa to find the correct result.
Can someone explain why letting u = sin(x) is a poor choice and leads to the incorrect solution?

Explain the transition between the 1st and 2nd lines after the word Therefore.

You seem to just ditch an integral sign with no explanation.

Explain the transition between the 1st and 2nd lines after the word Therefore.

You seem to just ditch an integral sign with no explanation.
It seems I was only taking the integral of v, i.e [MATH] \int sin(x)e^x = sin(x)e^x - "\int e^x"[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] [/COLOR]cos(x) dx [/MATH]and not the entire term [MATH] \int e^x cos(x) dx [/MATH]
My guess is taking the integral of the entire term would result in another integration by parts, and so on. Which would explain why choosing those terms for u and dv doesn't work out?

If I recall you have to apply integration by parts twice. And then you can do some algebra and group common terms
that gets you a nice closed form solution.

Romsek is 100% correct. You did make the correct choice for u. Do integration by parts again, letting u = cosx this time. You will then end up with a multiple of the original integral. Combine this multiple of the original integral with the one from the left hand side. The results will follow after a simple division.

Post back showing your work.

If I recall correctly, you could have chosen u=e^x both times and that would work out to the same results.