Integration of F(v)^(n-1)

waluma

Hi all,

maybe it is a dumb question but hopefully somebody can help me.

What is the integral of: [math]\int_{a}^{b} F(x)^{(n-1)}\,dx[/math]

Tank you very much.
Chris

Hi all,

maybe it is a dumb question but hopefully somebody can help me.

What is the integral of: [math]\int_{a}^{b} F(x)^{(n-1)}\,dx[/math]

Tank you very much.
Chris
What do you think it should be?

You do understand that the answer depends on the nature of F(x).

Is it possible to have a general solution without knowing F(x) in the first place. This is part of a general proof. The idea is to solve it for "every" distribution F(x).

Is it possible to have a general solution without knowing F(x) in the first place. This is part of a general proof. The idea is to solve it for "every" distribution F(x).
I do not think a general solution is available - with the information given in the post.

There may be more to say if you show that larger problem, to give context. There may be a different way to attack that problem, or it may provide additional information you have omitted.

Also, it would be helpful to have some larger context: If this is for a class, what you have learned that might be applicable, and so on?

The calculation is out of a proof for the optimal bidding strategy in an auction. It's part of game theory in economics.

The optimal bid b(x) in an auction, given an value x that is distributed on an Interval [0,1] according to a function F(x) is:
[math]b(x) = x -\int_{a}^{b} F(x)^{(n-1)} \,dx \cdot \dfrac{1}{F(x)^{n-1}}+........[/math]
I can perform all the proofs for general distributions but I am stuck here. This is not a question in a class. It's a proof that i try to do by myself.

The calculation is out of a proof for the optimal bidding strategy in an auction. It's part of game theory in economics.

The optimal bid b(x) in an auction, given an value x that is distributed on an Interval [0,1] according to a function F(x) is:
[math]b(x) = x -\int_{a}^{b} F(x)^{(n-1)} \,dx \cdot \dfrac{1}{F(x)^{n-1}}+........[/math]
I can perform all the proofs for general distributions but I am stuck here. This is not a question in a class. It's a proof that i try to do by myself.
F(x) must follow a particular probability distribution...

Can you provide a reference for the expression quoted above?

Can you please answer the question posed in response #6?

Does [imath]F(x)^{(n-1)}[/imath] by chance stand for the [imath](n-1)[/imath]-th derivative of [imath]F(x)[/imath] ?
Sorry, i should have stated what n stands for. n is the number of players. So, it is not the (n-1) derivative of F(v).

Last edited:
Can you provide a reference for the expression quoted above?

Can you please answer the question posed in response #6?
You can find a similar calculation in a published paper. http://vita.mcafee.cc/PDF/JEL.pdf see page 12 (or 709).

If you dont wanna click the link you can also go on the wikipedia page on First-Price-Sealed-Bid auctions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-price_sealed-bid_auction and then click on the third source/ reference (McAfee, Dinesh Satam; McMillan, Dinesh (1987), "Auctions and Bidding)

Sorry, i should have stated what n stands for. n is the number of players. So, it is not the (n-1) derivative of F(v).
So what does that notation mean? [imath](n-1)[/imath]-th power of [imath]F[/imath], or just a superscript used for indexing? Also, what is [imath]F[/imath]? Is there a formula for it?

"The situation is simpler when the valuations of the bidders are i.i.d. random variables, i.e.: there is a known prior distribution and the valuations of the bidders are all drawn from the same distribution"

Wikipedia is assuming each bidder's bid follows a uniform probability distribution between [0,1]. What you've shown is the general form F(x) aka cumulative probability distribution. Depending what your assumption about the distribution, the result of the integration will be different.