Integration - Simplifcation help

Click2

Hi all,

Hope someone will be able to help me, I've been sitting at that issue for a bit and I just can't get round it.
I have to simplify the equations before I can preform integration by parts BUT the biggest issue for me is.. to simplify it in a way where I can actually use integration.
I just lose it when there are fractions full of everything (anyone can recommend any good resources to look at?).

1.png
I'm just unsure how to treat the roots and powers together - I simplify it more or less but it doesn't seem like my end result is right, it can't be right if I can't integrate it (or at least I don't think I can)
Any explanations how to deal with these, even on different examples would be really helpful.

Thank you,
Click

> edit
forgot to mention - the question asks to simplify and integrate - I think I will need to use integration by parts but I'm stuck at properly simplifying it. The equations used were made up by me - so they might not make much sense - I didn't wanted to ask the same question as my homework since I want to resolve it myself hopefully if I get through the simplifying it to make it work.

Last edited:
A few things you need to know to do these problems:
First, \(\displaystyle \sqrt[n]{x}= x^{1/n}\). Second, the "laws of exponents", \(\displaystyle (x^a)(x^b)= x^{a+b}\) and \(\displaystyle (x^a)^b=x^{ab}\).

For the first problem, \(\displaystyle \frac{12x}{\sqrt[5]{x}\sqrt[3]{x}}\), the denominator is \(\displaystyle (x^{1/5})(x^{1/3})=x^{1/5+ 1/3}= x^{3/15+ 5/15}= x^{8/15}\) so \(\displaystyle \frac{12x}{\sqrt[5]{x}\sqrt[3]{x}}= 12x^{1- 8/15}= 12x^{(15- 8)/15}=12x^{7/15}\).

You did not combine the "\(\displaystyle x\)" and "\(\displaystyle x^{-8/15}\)".
(Also it is never a good idea to use "\(\displaystyle \times\)" as a multiplication symbol when you are using "x" as a variable! Use parentheses instead.)

For the second one, the parentheses need to be around the "\(\displaystyle 11x^2+ 2x\). Also the twentieth root, or 1/20 power, applies to the "2" as well as the exponential. And you need to combine the final powers of x. The denominator is \(\displaystyle \sqrt[20]{2e^{-10x}}= 2^{1/20}e^{-\frac{10x}{20}}= 2^{1/20}e^{-x/2}\) so \(\displaystyle \frac{11x^3+ 2x}{\sqrt{2e^{-10x}}}=\)\(\displaystyle (11x^3+ 2x)2^{-1/20}e^{-x/2}\). You can also write that as \(\displaystyle 2^{-1/20}(11x^3e^{-x/2}+2xe^{-x/2})\).[/tex]

Thank you! That was helpful. I knew the rules I just couldn't get my head round how to use them.