Integration

matt07

Hi,

Sorry for asking for help, im currently working through calculating energy but Im having difficulty integrating the below. I haven't touched integration for a long time and really struggling here. Is anyone able to help?

Thanks

1593474238099.pngdu

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
That's a little hard to read, so I'm not sure which things are "u" and which are not.

Have tried (or tried reviewing) substitution? Or parts? You may need both.

Jomo

Elite Member
From what I see all the u's cancels out so in the end you are integrating a constant. Do you know how to integrate a constant? Either this integral is quite easy or we are not seeing the entire integral.

HallsofIvy

Elite Member
Echoing Dr. Peterson and Jomo, the problem looks like
\(\displaystyle \int_{10}^{15}\frac{\pi U}{2U}e^{-\pi\left(\frac{U}{2U}\right)^2}du\)

I not sure if what looks like "U", a capital U, is supposed to be "u", the variable in "du". But, in any case \(\displaystyle \frac{U}{2U}= \frac{1}{2}\) so the integral is just \(\displaystyle \int_{10}^{15}\frac{\pi}{2}e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}}du=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{10}^{15} du=\)\(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}}(15- 10)\).

Dr.Peterson

Elite Member
I was wondering if it might really be something like this:

\(\displaystyle \int_{10}^{15}\frac{\pi u}{2U}e^{-\pi\left(\frac{u}{2U}\right)^2}du\)​

where U would be a constant. That's not very good form, but at least it would be doable without being trivial.

@matt07, why haven't you responded? If you had, we would have helped long ago.