Intersection of a Line and Circle

Anthobet

Untitled.png
To find where two equations intersect each other, set them equal to each other and solve. But I keep getting false statements, 0 != 8. What am I doing wrong here?
0531191708.jpg

First, (-x + 2)^2 is not the same as -(x - 2)^2. Do you see why?

(Hints: Can a positive number equal a negative number? Can you pull a factor out from inside a square without squaring the factor?)

Second, if you did get 0 = 8, that would just mean there is no solution, which is a valid answer to have (apart from not being among the choices). Luckily, that won't happen when you fix the work.

First, (-x + 2)^2 is not the same as -(x - 2)^2. Do you see why?

(Hints: Can a positive number equal a negative number? Can you pull a factor out from inside a square without squaring the factor?)

Second, if you did get 0 = 8, that would just mean there is no solution, which is a valid answer to have (apart from not being among the choices). Luckily, that won't happen when you fix the work.

Ohh I see. I factored it incorrectly. If I'm going to factor like that, it should be ( -x + 2)2 = (-( x - 2 ))2 which I don't see any use for. So I just foiled and got my answer. Thank you so much ?

Ohh I see. I factored it incorrectly. If I'm going to factor like that, it should be (-x + 2)2 = (-( x - 2 ))2 which I don't see any use for. So I just foiled and got my answer. Thank you so much ?
There is great use for it if you continue! Just distribute the square over the product:

[MATH](-x + 2)^2 = (-1(x - 2))^2 = (-1)^2(x-2)^2 = (x-2)^2[/MATH]​

so the equation becomes [MATH](x-2)^2 + (x-2)^2 = 8[/MATH]. From there, you end up with [MATH](x-2)^2 = 4[/MATH], and so on.

(Or you could do what pka did, which may be what you did already.)