Interval Notation Range

dxs

I was going over my notes and never quite solidified in my head how to write range interval notation. I was just wondering if someone could explain that to me so I know for next year. Lets take this graph for example:

View attachment 20220

I know that {x | XER} but am unsure how to do the range.

Sorry the photo doesn't seem to be working in that image, here is it again:
1593819668155.png

Your domain, properly written in "set-builder notation" as [MATH]\{x|x\in\mathbb{R}\}[/MATH], in interval notation would be [MATH](-\infty,\infty)[/MATH].

Before I tell you what the range is, you'll have to describe it in words, and show an attempt at interval notation, so we can see where you need help.

Your domain, properly written in "set-builder notation" as [MATH]\{x|x\in\mathbb{R}\}[/MATH], in interval notation would be [MATH](-\infty,\infty)[/MATH].

Before I tell you what the range is, you'll have to describe it in words, and show an attempt at interval notation, so we can see where you need help.
I want to say the range for the photo is {y | y ≤ 3}, and oops, meant the title of this post to say "set builder range help".

Last edited:
It looks to be that y never reaches 3, just look carefully. I think that the maximum point has a height of y=2.5. That makes the range y<= 2.5

Now if you thought the max value was 3 then your answer is correct for learning purposes. Just remember that on an exam the problem would be marked wrong.

It would be nice if the axes were marked and if there were a grid, but it sure looks like 3 to me!

And the domain isn't entirely clear either; there could be two vertical asymptotes. But I think it's meant to be easy, not tricky.