Intuition for Differential - Partial/Directional derivatives

CStudent

Hello everyone.

I'm taking this term the course Calculus 2.

We are now dealing with multi-variable functions and started learning Differentiability.

There are a lot of notations, definitions, so I am totally lost.

I still don't really understand what a differential is - it's somehow a linear transformation, but not clear intuitively what its meaning actually is.

Partial and Directional derivatives and Gradient - What are they? What is the difference between them? What's their relation to the differential?

I looked for intuition in Stack,Quora but it didn't really help me.

Maybe some here can help me figure it out?

Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone.

I'm taking this term the course Calculus 2.

We are now dealing with multi-variable functions and started learning Differentiability.

There are a lot of notations, definitions, so I am totally lost.

I still don't really understand what a differential is - it's somehow a linear transformation, but not clear intuitively what its meaning actually is.

Partial and Directional derivatives and Gradient - What are they? What is the difference between them? What's their relation to the differential?

I looked for intuition in Stack,Quora but it didn't really help me.

Maybe some here can help me figure it out?

Thanks in advance.
Are you attending a "regular" math class now? If yes, ask the instructor for a face-2-face meeting. In my opinion, these questions are best answered/explained/reinforced in a face-2-face meeting.

Are you attending a "regular" math class now? If yes, ask the instructor for a face-2-face meeting. In my opinion, these questions are best answered/explained/reinforced in a face-2-face meeting.
I went to the office hour of my instructor but it didn't help much...
I still don't understand the relation between differential and those things well enough