Investigate the difficulty of achieving an outshot of 141 in a game of 501

J_K1

Hi,

I need some help on my maths homework. It is about darts. I need to investigate the difficulty of achieving an outshot of 141 in a game of 501.

- Display the sample space
- Describe the events (possible outshots of 141)
- Calculate the probability of achieving each of the possible out shots with a score of 141

What have you done so far?
I have worked out some outcomes to achieve 141

Triple/Triple/Double:
19 (57), 20 (60), 12 (24) = 141
17 (51), 20 (60), 15 (30) = 141
15 (45), 20 (60), 18 (36) = 141
19 (57), 18 (54), 15 (30) = 141
19 (57), 16 (48), 18 (36) = 141
18 (54), 17 (51), 18 (36) = 141

Double/Triple/Bullseye
20 (40), 17 (51), 1 (50) = 141
17 (34), 19 (57), 1 (50) = 141

I doubt the problem is meant to do by hand. It requires a computer program.
  • Anyhow, here's the sample space from Wikipedia.
Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 7.32.13 AM.png
  • List for all combinations that add up to 141 with 3 throws.
  • The probability of each outcome is calculated as the area of sector/area of the dartboard based on the actual dimensions of the dartboard.
  • Next, assuming each throw is independent, the probability of each combination is found by multiplying the probability of each outcome of that combination.
    • Using one combination you listed as an example, 57+60+24=141. The probability of this combination is [math]\Pr(57 \cap 60 \cap 24)=\Pr(57)\Pr(60)\Pr(24)[/math]
  • Lastly, summing up all the probability of all combinations will give you the final answer.

Last edited:
@J_K1
As I stated before, this is more like a project which requires you to answer multiple questions, as I laid out for you in post #5, rather than just a question. The manual calculation is quite tedious and repetitive, but it's not impossible.
  • Are you allowed to use a computer program/coding?
  • To calculate the area of the bullseye (50 points) and double bullseye (25 points), you need the radius of the 2 circles and then apply the formula for the area of a circle.
  • How are you planning on calculating the rest of the areas?

@J_K1
As I stated before, this is more like a project which requires you to answer multiple questions, as I laid out for you in post #5, rather than just a question. The manual calculation is quite tedious and repetitive, but it's not impossible.
  • To calculate the area of the bullseye (50 points) and double bullseye (25 points), you need the radius of the 2 circles and then apply the formula for the area of a circle.
Yes i am allowed to use a computer program/coding but i dont know how to

@J_K1
I have calculated the rest of the areas, is just that i got confused which formula do i use for the area of the bullseye

I have calculated the rest of the areas, is just that i got confused which formula do i use for the area of the bullseye
I would think the area of the bullseye is easier to calculate than any of the other areas. Use the formula for the area of a circle. How did you calculate the other areas?

I doubt the problem is meant to do by hand. It requires a computer program.
  • Anyhow, here's the sample space from Wikipedia.
View attachment 31270
  • List for all combinations that add up to 141 with 3 throws.
  • The probability of each outcome is calculated as the area of sector/area of the dartboard based on the actual dimensions of the dartboard.
  • Next, assuming each throw is independent, the probability of each combination is found by multiplying the probability of each outcome of that combination.
    • Using one combination you listed as an example, 57+60+24=141. The probability of this combination is [math]\Pr(57 \cap 60 \cap 24)=\Pr(57)\Pr(60)\Pr(24)[/math]
  • Lastly, summing up all the probability of all combinations will give you the final answer.
That's the sample space for a single shot. Wouldn't the required sample space be all the possiible totals for 3 shots?

That's the sample space for a single shot. Wouldn't the required sample space be all the possiible totals for 3 shots?
Yes, you're correct. The diagram only shows the sample space of 1 shot. To list the sample space for 3 shots, the OP requires to identify the exhaustive combinations for 3 shots.
Yes i am allowed to use a computer program/coding but i dont know how to
@J_K1 Are you expected to do this by hand? I'm just confused as to why your instructor would assign such a project if you don't know how to code. What class is this from?

Yes, you're correct. The diagram only shows the sample space of 1 shot. To list the sample space for 3 shots, the OP requires to identify the exhaustive combinations for 3 shots.

@J_K1 Are you expected to do this by hand? I'm just confused as to why your instructor would assign such a project if you don't know how to code. What class is this from?
Yes, i was expected to do it by hand

Yes, i was expected to do it by hand
IMO, I think it's unfair for you to do it by hand so I'll give you the list of the combinations. This is also your sample space. There are 23 of them:

(21,60,60);(24,57,60);(27,54,60);(27,57,57);(30,51,60)
(30,54,57);(33,48,60);(33,51,57);(33,54,54);(34,50,57)
(36,45,60);(36,48,57);(36,51,54);(39,42,60);(39,45,57)
(39,48,54);(39,51,51);(40,50,51);(42,42,57);(42,45,54)
(42,48,51);(45,45,51);(45,48,48)
I hope you're keeping a spreadsheet to save your work.

Last edited:
Sorry, for bothering, thank you for your suggestions given but the teacher requires us to have 20 possible out shots of 141, its like T DT, it cannot be like TTT . And the combination you have provided is the same one that I gave you from the beginning. It may seems to be a little confusing. Anyways, thanks for helping me out.

Sorry, for bothering, thank you for your suggestions given but the teacher requires us to have 20 possible out shots of 141, its like T DT, it cannot be like TTT . And the combination you have provided is the same one that I gave you from the beginning. It may seems to be a little confusing. Anyways, thanks for helping me out.
I gave you all the possibilities, of course, it's gonna include the one you provided. If you don't want TTT, then just remove them?