Is my professor wrong?

scarver0606

Hello Everyone, I have a question cocerning inequalitys expressed through interval notations. What would the answer to the following questions be? I believe they have different answers, [4,infinity) and (4,infinity). My professor believes both of them have the same answer (4,infinity). Who is correct and why?????

If the answer to the inequality is x is greater than and equal to 4, how would that be expressed as an interval notation?

If the answer to the inequality is x is greater than 4, how would that be expressed as an interval notation?

PLEASE HELP!

In the usual convention, "(4" does not incude 4.

Don't try it with, infinity. "infinity)" means "without bound".
The expression "infinity]" has no meaning.

Without knowing the actual question or the basis of the dispute, it is difficult to opine one way or the other.

well, according to your questions, you are both wrong. If it is greater than and equal to 4 then it just doesn't exist. However, if instead of and you meant or, your two intervals would be correct. Of course this is assuming you solved the original inequalities correctly.

He was pointing out that greater than AND equal to 4 tere are no points that are true. If it is greater than 4 it is not equal to 4 and vice versa. No pont can be both which is what AND requires.
----------------
Gene