Is the assignment wrong or am I?

ukkoperkele

Hi,
I have attached a picture of a rough translation of the assignment. My question is, how can it be a rectangle if the x-coordinate of the point X can not be "a". The same thing with the point Y, as it's y-coordinate can not be "b"

Attachments

• matikka.png
    matikka.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 6
Are you sure the word isn't just "quadrilateral"?

My concern is that OXYZ is not even a polygon with a defined area, as edges will intersect. It would make at least some sense if it said OXZY.

Can you give us the original language so we can check the translation as well as we can?

Are you sure the word isn't just "quadrilateral"?

My concern is that OXYZ is not even a polygon with a defined area, as edges will intersect. It would make at least some sense if it said OXZY.

Can you give us the original language so we can check the translation as well as we can?
I messed up, it was OXZY, as you said. I'm positive that the word is rectangle. If it really is so, that OXZY can not be a rectangle, would the answer "0" be technically correct?

What to do depends on context.

If it was given by a teacher, you can ask.

If it is graded by a human, you can state your interpretation and solve that: (1) assume it means polygon and find the expected value of that area, or (2) assume that Z is meant to be (x,y), where X = (x,0) and Y = (0,y).

If it is multiple-choice, choose "none".

I don't think 0 works, because the area of a nonexistent region is undefined, not 0.