is there a formula for this?

englsinger_J

A problem states that the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 12 inches and the area is 24 square inches. find the dimensions of the triangle, correct to one decimal point.

is their a formula I could use to solve this? I tried solving it by using the pythagorean therom and finding the dimensions of the base and height by also using 1/2 bh formula. with this method I got that b is about 4.3 and h is about 11.3.

is there a formula to solve this easier? If someone knows could they tell me without actually telling me the answer.
Thanks

Without seeing your work, it is difficult to say whether there might be an easier way. I'm not familiar with any "formula" for this. I would just set up a system of (non-linear) equations, using the area formula and the Pythagorean Formula:

. . . . .A = (1/2)bh = 24

. . . . .b<sup>2</sup> + h<sup>2</sup> = (12)<sup>2</sup>

Then solve for the base "b" and the height "h".

Eliz.

englsinger_J said:
A problem states that the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 12 inches and the area is 24 square inches. find the dimensions of the triangle, correct to one decimal point.

is their a formula I could use to solve this? I tried solving it by using the pythagorean therom and finding the dimensions of the base and height by also using 1/2 bh formula. with this method I got that b is about 4.3 and h is about 11.3.

is there a formula to solve this easier? If someone knows could they tell me without actually telling me the answer.
Thanks
Your dimensions are correct (just watch the rounding with 11.21..).

I wonder from the references to a formula as to whether you used technology to solve it.

Substituting b in terms of h from Eliz's first equation into her second gives

\(\displaystyle \mbox{ \frac{2304}{h^2} + h^2 = 144}\)

Multiply both sides by h<sup>2</sup>, let u = h<sup>2</sup> and you have a quadratic to solve for u. Solve for h from those.