Is this advanced? Not sure but need help trying to figure out how to get an equation for this

PLV

Hello! I have come across a graph problem that I need to reverse engineer to determine what the equation is. Goal is to be able to take an X and Y point and determine which color it corresponds to without having to put it on graph (if that makes sense). Your help is appreciated (please see attached jpg)

Question: What is the equation that will allow you to determine which color any point falls in.
The Math Problem.JPG!

I would not expect this to represent an equation. In programming, I would use a lookup table (after rounding x and y).

If there is some pattern to the colors, we have to know what it is. Can you tell us where this came from, and why the colors would be where they are? That might be able to be turned into a set of inequalities, and perhaps into a formula, but only in the best case.

Thanks for the quick reply. This is related to Risk. The scale of risk for X is 4 being critical and 1 being low. The scale for Y is 1 being critical and 4 being low. The colors represent 4 levels of risk (Green = Low, Yellow = moderate, Pink = High, Red = Critical).

So, x and y are the levels of risk for two different things, and the chart shows some sort of joint risk. (I won't ask why the scales move in opposite directions.)

The important question is, how is the joint risk determined? As I understand it, that is what you are asking; my question is, why don't you already have any information about how it is determined? Where did the chart come from, and might it be somewhat arbitrary?