Is this method of reformulating a Sum formula legit?

Douweziel

Hello all,

I just started working with the sum-formula of an arithmetic progression with Sigma.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\, a_k \, = \, \dfrac{1}{2} \, n \, (a_1 \, + \, a_n)\)

I noticed that this doesn't work for k≠1 and I wasn't taught how to make it, so I formulated this:

If k≠1:
k-h = 1
n1-h = n2

->

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{k=h+1}^{n_1} a_k \, = \, \dfrac{1}{2} \, n_2 \,(a_1\, + \,a_{n_1})\)

E.g.:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{14}\, (5k\,+\,3)\,=\,\dfrac{1}{2}\,\times \,15(3\,+\,70)\,=\,570\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{k=-2}^{22}\, (100k\,+\,10)\,=\,\dfrac{1}{2}\,\times \,25(-190\,+\,2210)\,=\,25250\)

In those examples this worked out. Can I use this as a rule? How come this works this way, that the n1 and n2 are suddenly different values altogether when k≠1?

P.S. I have no idea how to insert math! I used the Tex syntaxes but in Preview the equation won't show up.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S. I have no idea how to insert math! I used the Tex syntaxes but in Preview the equation won't show up.
In your original message, click on "Edit Post" to see how the coding has been fixed. ;)

In your original message, click on "Edit Post" to see how the coding has been fixed. ;)

Thank you so much! I searched both this forum and the internet but I couldn't find it - didn't know it was that easy.