Is university mathematics possible to pass if you put the work in?

Sophdof1

I don’t know where to ask questions on general Mathematics. Where can I ask these questions?

I have repeated the year in first year mathematics and I find ‘proofs and problem solving course’ really difficult. I used to be so good at maths at school and enjoyed it and now I am just so confused.

Basically my question is, is university maths for everyone? Is there a way of improving or is it kind of the case that you can either do it or you can’t. I don’t know whether to change degree.

I managed to get a first in Linear Algebra in the last semester, so this is the only thing that is making me think that I can possibly do it.

I don't know what the Professors on site will say to this but when I was teaching college I felt that I was extremely underused by my students. They had questions they needed help with an often left problems blank when they turned in homework. Very few visited my office hours or set up appointements to meet with me.

Try not to take shortcuts. My ex-wife entered College as a Math major and had taken AP Calculus in High School. Her adviser told her to go ahead and skip Calculus I. She took Calculus 2 and failed it. The next semester she re-took it and got a D. I don't think it was lack of skills but lack of confidence. Keep at it.

Make sure to ask the questions you need to ask. You have this as a good resource as well but nothing beats talking to your instructor.

-Dan

Yes, proof can be difficult. One needs to be clever, think differently at times, etc. It is an art. Not everyone can do it and do it extremely well. I think that you should not give up yet. I am assuming that you started college taking Linear Algebra? That is a good sign, what grade did you deserve? Was this course proof based? If not, then you need to retake Linear Algebra!
From K-12 you probably was not taught why anything was true which is a terrible way to learn mathematics. I knew that my education was lacking in math so I tried to prove the rules/theorems as my math classes went along. I always felt that if a mathematician (which I wanted to be) couldn't prove something in math then who can!
Go back to your proof book and try to do EVERY problem in it. NEVER move on if you do NOT understand a theorem from your textbook. Accept nothing in math until you prove it yourself.
Come back to this forum with the proofs you have trouble with. This forum will be good for you as we push students to think on their own by giving hints.
Remember you can do it!