Jomo's plight

• Thread starter Deleted member 4993
  • Start date
I presume Jomo meant c/g- d. However, the formula should be cr/(gr- d). Again, notice the parentheses!

Since you retired you have been poking me all the time. Why is that?
My fingers needed to do something non-productive - no "silly" reports to write - and there you are........

How and why is that relevant?
In Jomo's defense, OP brought the topic ("girl") in the subject-line. Jomo was sitting in the corner for a long-time, thus the lapse ....

I can't believe that I jumped into Jomo's defense again!!!!!!!!

You brought up that the OP and 'she' are different people. I just suggested that may not be true.

(referring to thread https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/help-its-for-a-girl-and-i-am-over-my-head.125285/)

Even if the word "girl" was being used in a self-deprecating way, by a girl, then this doesn't make its use OK and we should educate the OP so that they're aware that their gender has no impact whatsoever on their potential math/ communication skills or intelligence. (Otherwise this false belief could lead to them having low self-esteem in the future).

I'm not attacking you @Jomo , just backing up @Harry_the_cat and saying why I think that it isn't relevant whether or not OP is a girl.

I guess we could give OP the benefit of the doubt, in the other thread, that the word "girl" may have been used to get the point of "young age" across rather than being a comment about the relative cleverness of any gender. I certainly hope that was the case anyway!

EDIT: I'm not sure that these posts should have been moved away from the original thread for the above reason.

Last edited:
(referring to thread https://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/help-its-for-a-girl-and-i-am-over-my-head.125285/)

Even if the word "girl" was being used in a self-depracating way, by a girl, then this doesn't make its use OK and we should educate the OP so that they're aware that their gender has no impact whatsoever on their potential math/ communication skills or intelligence. (Otherwise this false belief could lead to them having low self-esteem in the future).

I'm not attacking you @Jomo , just backing up @Harry_the_cat and saying why I think that it isn't relevant whether or not OP is a girl.

I guess we could give OP the benefit of the doubt, in the other thread, that the word "girl" may have been used to get the point of "young age" across rather than being a comment about the relative cleverness of any gender. I certainly hope that was the case anyway!
Of course it isn't relevant whether the OP is a girl or not.

I'm glad that there isn't a "Cubist's plight" thread yet. Only a matter of time. At least there's only one page of Jomo's plight, so far ?

I'm not sure gender was ever involved at all. The question (still unresolved) is merely whether the OP is a third party. Replace "girl" with "student" in the title and the entire thread, and see how it reads! (If the thread were intact.)

If gender was an issue (self-deprecatingly or otherwise), it was in the title, not in anyone's responses.

I'm glad that there isn't a "Cubist's plight" thread yet. Only a matter of time. At least there's only one page of Jomo's plight, so far ?
As long as Subhotosh is an admin there will only be a Jomo plight thread.

You brought up that the OP and 'she' are different people. I just suggested that may not be true.
Sorry for any confusion Jomo. I wasn't having a go at you. I was having a go at the original poster and the title of their post.

As long as Subhotosh is an admin there will only be a Jomo plight thread.

Sheeeesh... trying to be sympathetic - look what happens... getting accused of 'unspeakable' crimes.....