Just need a little clearing up

marlousie

I tried to ask google however it didn't really give me a straight answer so I made an account here solely for this question. It's also relatively simple so thank you to anyone who explains it to me because I'm still a bit caught up on it.

Why does (-4)^2= 16 but -4^2= 1/16

I'm currently studying for the SAT and these things constantly trip me up because my math teachers never really went over this.

Thank you again!

I tried to ask google however it didn't really give me a straight answer so I made an account here solely for this question. It's also relatively simple so thank you to anyone who explains it to me because I'm still a bit caught up on it.

I'm currently studying for the SAT and these things constantly trip me up because my math teachers never really went over this.

Thank you again!
-4^2= 1/16................................................... is incorrect

-4^2 = - (4^2) = -(16) = -16

However:

4^(-2) = 1/(4^2) = 1/16

Please come back if you have more questions.

You are wrong about THAT
\(-4^2=-16\) while \(4^{-2}=\frac{1}{16}\)

Thank you again!
It has to do with the precedence of operators. Exponentiation takes precedence over addition and multiplication. So if have [MATH]-4^2[/MATH], you would to the exponent first giving [MATH]-16[/MATH]. Such problems are avoided by using parentheses. [MATH](-4)^2 = 16[/MATH] versus [MATH]-(4^2)=-16[/MATH]. Then there is no doubt which is meant. On exams like the SAT they give you [MATH]-4^2[/MATH] to trip you up if you don't know the precedence rules.

-4^2= 1/16................................................... is incorrect

-4^2 = - (4^2) = -(16) = -16

However:

4^(-2) = 1/(4^2) = 1/16

Please come back if you have more questions.

Ah, thank you I realize my mistake now! Thank you, I appreciate it :)

It has to do with the precedence of operators. Exponentiation takes precedence over addition and multiplication. So if have [MATH]-4^2[/MATH], you would to the exponent first giving [MATH]-16[/MATH]. Such problems are avoided by using parentheses. [MATH](-4)^2 = 16[/MATH] versus [MATH]-(4^2)=-16[/MATH]. Then there is no doubt which is meant. On exams like the SAT they give you [MATH]-4^2[/MATH] to trip you up if you don't know the precedence rules.

Thank you for this! I understand I was wrong in my original post but this explained another problem that I probably would've come across the way! :)