just not getting it: y^3-4y^2-6y+5 and y-5

faith21

y^3-4y^2-6y+5 and y-5

y^4y^2-6y+5=y-5
-5 -5
y^4y^2-6y+5
4y^2-6y=10

y^3-10y^2=y(10)

What is the "it" that you're supposed to be "getting"? How do the posted expressions relate, if at all? Were there any instructions for these exercises (assuming the two expressions indicate two different exercises)? What is the meaning of the lines following the first? :shock:

Please reply with clarification, along with a clear listing of your work and reasoning so far. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Eliz, all I can see is that (y^3-4y^2-6y+5) / (y - 5) = y^2 + y - 1 : so apparently a factoring problem; agree?

Faith, you're obviously in need of serious classroom help.
Also, please ask someone who knows how to post to show you how; you are NOT posting clearly.

Denis said:
Eliz, all I can see is that (y^3-4y^2-6y+5) / (y - 5) = y^2 + y - 1 : so apparently a factoring problem; agree?

Faith, you're obviously in need of serious classroom help.
Also, please ask someone who knows how to post to show you how; you are NOT posting clearly.

well thanks for the respond but first off am not in a classroom, am not even a student am taking a placement test and am trying to study for it cuz its been a while since i did math. thats one two sorry if i wrote that wrongly its not that i dont know how to post its tht i was paying full attention plus it was copied and pasted from some other place that i ask for help from. And if am doing somthing wrong you being the tutor cant u correct me instead of saying that i need to find someone to help. i dont get it y reply if u dont have nothing decent to say.

this is the whole problem.

which of these is the quotient of

y^3-4y^2-6y+5 and y-5
a) y^2+y-1
b) y^4-9y^3+14y^2+35y+25
c)y^4-y^3+26y^2+35y+25
d)y^2+2y+1

which of these is the quotient of

y^3-4y^2-6y+5 and y-5

a) y^2+y-1
b) y^4-9y^3+14y^2+35y+25
c)y^4-y^3+26y^2+35y+25
d)y^2+2y+1

I can show my work again if u want

Re:

stapel said:
What is the "it" that you're supposed to be "getting"? How do the posted expressions relate, if at all? Were there any instructions for these exercises (assuming the two expressions indicate two different exercises)? What is the meaning of the lines following the first? :shock:

Please reply with clarification, along with a clear listing of your work and reasoning so far. Thank you! :D

Eliz.
am sorry i wasnt paying full attention when i wrote it out sorry about that.

faith21 said:
you being the tutor cant u correct me instead of saying that i need to find someone to help. i dont get it y reply if u dont have nothing decent to say.
I'm sorry but, when I can't understand what you're saying, let alone see what you might have done, I'm afraid there is little in the way of "help" or "correction" that I can offer. :oops:

I'll leave this thread for someone always able correctly to guess your meaning. :(

My apologies.

Eliz.