Latex Delimiters: I cannot get the old tex and /tex pair to work.

JeffM

Elite Member
With the new software, what are the delimiters for LaTeX. I cannot get the old tex and /tex pair to work.

Also, where can you change font size?

For inline math you can use \ ( \ ) (without the spaces), and for displaystyle math (indented and on its own line) you can use \ [ \ ]. If you click the calculator icon in the toolbar, the [MATH][/MATH] tags will be generated for you which is inline but gives you the larger displaystyle math.

To change your font size use the "T" button to the left of the flag (spoiler) icon.

… I cannot get the old tex and /tex pair to work.

Also, where can you change font size?
The tags [tex][/tex] do work. Can you send me the problematic text, by private conversation?

Font size may be changed by using the toolbar icon (eighth icon from the left). ?
\(\displaystyle \;\)

mmm

I was trying to answer a question. When it did not work, I abandoned my answer so I cannot send you what was creating a problem.. What I can tell you is that the answer used displaystyle.

[ tex]\left( {r\cos \left( {\theta + \frac{{2k\pi }}{4}} \right),r\sin \left( {\theta + \frac{{2k\pi }}{4}} \right)} \right),~k=1,~2,~3[/tex]

\(\displaystyle \left( {r\cos \left( {\theta + \frac{{2k\pi }}{4}} \right),r\sin \left( {\theta + \frac{{2k\pi }}{4}} \right)} \right),~k=1,~2,~3\)

Without the space in [ tex] the code works for me.

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=m}^n f(k) \equiv f(m) + f(m+1) + \ ... \ + f(n-1) + f(n).\)

This is what I am getting from

\sum_{k=m}^n f(k) \equiv f(m) + f(m+1) + \ ... \ + f(n-1) + f(n).

[ tex]\left( {r\cos \left( {\theta + \frac{{2k\pi }}{4}} \right),r\sin \left( {\theta + \frac{{2k\pi }}{4}} \right)} \right),~k=1,~2,~3[/tex]

Without the space in [ tex] the code works for me.
Here's a tip, pka. We don't need to play tricks on the system anymore (like inserting spaces), in order to display tags in a post. Enclosing tags within [plain] and [/plain] tags will prevent the system from processing the enclosed code. See the bottom of this post, for more info. Cheers ?
\(\displaystyle \;\)

Reactions: pka
So far I like the new software. I never expected it to be bug free, but there really have been few bugs so far. Good work all.

… For now, use ( n) instead (note the space in front of the n).
Thanks, Mark! That's way easier than my 'ol vBulletin LaTeX fix (to suppress keyword autolinking, for instance).

I would have coded something like [tex]f\text{(}n)[/tex] to force \(\displaystyle f\text{(}n)\). ?

So far I like the new software. I never expected it to be bug free, but there really have been few bugs so far. Good work all.

Yes, XF 2.1 is a robust forum software, coded by some of the folks who brought us vB 3.x way back when. I think its major strengths are responsive design and a lot more AJAX being used to make reloading pages less necessary. Over time we'll get all the reported issues sorted out. :)