lim(x->0) tan^2(αx)*sin(βx)/x^3

M1995

the teacher gave us this as a homework , and i tried really hard to solve it but I couldn't
so I really need help :(

2hi89qr.jpg

Last edited:
the teacher gave us this as a homework , and i tried really hard to solve it but I couldn't
so I really need help

2hi89qr.jpg

Rewrite as \(\displaystyle (\alpha)^2\dfrac{\sin^2(\alpha x)}{(\alpha x)^2}\)\(\displaystyle ~ \dfrac{1}{\cos^2(\alpha x)}~\beta \dfrac{sin(\beta x)}{\beta x}\)

What are you allowed to use? For example, if you were allowed to use
\(\displaystyle sin(\beta x) = \beta x - \frac{(\beta x)^3}{6} + ... = \beta x [ 1 - \frac{(\beta x)^2}{6} + ...] \)
\(\displaystyle tan(\alpha x) = \alpha x + \frac{(\alpha x)^3}{3} + ... = \alpha x [ 1 + \frac{(\alpha x)^2}{3} + ...]\)

then we would have

2hi89qr.jpg

=\(\displaystyle lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\beta x [ 1 - \frac{(\beta x)^2}{6} + ...] (\alpha x)^2 [ 1 + \frac{(\alpha x)^2}{3} + ...]^2}{x^3}\)
=\(\displaystyle lim_{x \to 0}{\beta (\alpha)^2 [ 1 - \frac{(\beta x)^2}{6} + ...] [ 1 + \frac{(\alpha x)^2}{3} + ...]^2}\)
=\(\displaystyle \beta {\alpha}^2\)

If you are only allowed to use something like L'hospital's rule, you will need to plow your way through.

Note: If you were allowed to use
\(\displaystyle lim_{x \to 0}\frac{sin(x)}{x} = 1\)
the same sort of limit could be done. Hint: let u = \(\displaystyle \beta x\) and v = \(\displaystyle \alpha x\)

I am only allowed to use

[FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]l[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]i[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]m (x->0) [/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]s[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]i[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]n[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]1 , and [/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]l[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]i[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]m (x->0) tan[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]([/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main])/[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Math-italic]x[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]=[/FONT][FONT=MathJax_Main]1[/FONT]

so I tried to solve it like this

2nta8ud.png

there is only the cos left , I think it'll be 1/1=1 but im not sure if it right ?

Last edited:
thank you very much for helping me and wish you all the best