limit laws and manipulating equations

trigfun

Hello,

I'm having trouble figuring out how to approach this problem. 1586714044334.pngis throwing me off. Do I foil? I understand that I can't use limit laws with the equation in this form, I need to manipulate the equation algebraically. I'm just having trouble seeing how. Here's the problem:

Evaluate the limit, if it exists. (If an answer does not exist, enter DNE.)

1586714197278.png

I'd really appreciate some tips on where to start with this.

Thank you!
Jill

Rather than expanding (which would work), you could also use a difference of cubes factorization:

[MATH](7+h)^3-7^3=(7+h-7)((7+h)^2+(7+h)7+7^2)=h(h^2+21h+147)[/MATH]

Thank you! That all makes sense.

Now I'm not sure what to do with the denominator. As it stands, h would equal zero, so I know I need to manipulate the equation to deal with that. What comes to mind is multiplying by a well-chosen one, but I don't see how I could do that here. Any tips?

Thank you!

Thank you! That all makes sense.

Now I'm not sure what to do with the denominator. As it stands, h would equal zero, so I know I need to manipulate the equation to deal with that. What comes to mind is multiplying by a well-chosen one, but I don't see how I could do that here. Any tips?

Thank you!
Your

numerator = h * (h^2 + 21h + 147)
denominator = h

What do you get when you divide the numerator by the denominator?

Now take the limit......

The definition of the derivative is \(\displaystyle \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x+ h)- f(x)}{h}\). The denominator always goes to 0! You had better get used to that! That means that the numerator must also go to 0 so you have the "indeterminate" \(\displaystyle \frac{0}{0}\) and will need to use some more subtle method of evaluating the limit than just setting h equal to 0.