Limit problem

dome123

Hi,
I have a problem which needs to be solved without using L'Hosiptal rule.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.limit.PNG

Ok. I think this is right, but this is not my forte.

So first, convert both sqrt of cos x and the cubic root of cos x into exponent form.
Then, convert both of their powers to be the same.

See what you can do with that.

What do you mean exactly by converting their powers to be the same, I can't see how to do it.

This is a truly awful question. Even the most powerful computer algebra system takes pages to solve this and the even for the last few steps uses L'Hosiptal rule. I see no straightforward way of doing it. WolframAlpha gives the answer as \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{12}\).
SEE HERE one needs to Pro Premium edition to get the steps.

Well, pka thanks for your reply , I know it's not easy but this is the question on my exam and I was struggling to solve it but now I see it is too hard.
Thanks anyway

Hi,
I have a problem which needs to be solved without using L'Hosiptal rule.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.View attachment 15947
1578518539322.png
Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

READ BEFORE POSTING

Please share your work/thoughts about this assignment

Hint:

If you factor out \(\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{cos(x)}\) from the numerator - what would you get?

Well, pka thanks for your reply , I know it's not easy but this is the question on my exam and I was struggling to solve it but now I see it is too hard.
Thanks anyway
No, it isn't too hard. Computers are not always smarter than people.

The suggests that have been given allowed me to work it out in about two square inches of paper. (Well, I write very small -- that accounts for some of my errors.) Your substitution t = cos(x) does make things a lot easier to write, factoring out t^(1/3) helps more, and some conjugates and the like finish the job. Don't give up!

NICE JOB. Your substitution gets rid of all the surds. Assuming 0 < cos(x) < 1

[MATH]cos(x) = t^6 \implies \sqrt{cos(x)} = t^3,\ \sqrt[3]{cos(x)} = t^2,\ cos^2(x) = t^{12},[/MATH]
[MATH]sin^2(x) = 1 - cos^2(x) = 1 - t^{12} = (1 - t^3)(1 + t^3)(1 + t^6) = (1 - t)(1 + t + t^2)(1 + t^3)(1 + t^6) \text { and}[/MATH]
[MATH]t^3 - t^2 = t^2((t = 1) = -\ t^2(1 - t).[/MATH]
[MATH]\therefore y = \dfrac{\sqrt{cos(x)} - \sqrt[3]{cos(x)}}{sin^2(x)} = \dfrac{t^3 - t^2}{1 - t^{12}} =[/MATH]
[MATH]\dfrac{-\ t^2 \cancel {(1 - t)}}{\cancel {(1 - t)}(1 + t + t^2)(1 + t^3)(1 + t^6)} = -\ \dfrac{t^2}{(1 + t + t^2)(1 + t^3)(1 + t^6)}.[/MATH]
[MATH]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} cos(x) = 1 \implies \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} t^6 = 1 \implies \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} t^n =1 \implies[/MATH]
[MATH]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} y = -\ \dfrac{1^2}{(1 + 1^1 + 1^2)(1 + 1^3)(1 + 1^6)} = -\ \dfrac{1}{3(2)(2)} = -\ \dfrac{1}{12}.[/MATH]
If you ask a machine just to give you the answer, the reason for the answer will not be apparent.

Exactly, at first glance I was wondering how to factor it but I realised I forgot the basics, thanks for the reply.