Limit / Slope Problems

packerman

Hi, I'm having trouble figuring out a few problems from my assignment. If anyone can offer some help I'd be grateful :)

1. For each part of problem, either give fromulas and graphs of functions F and G satisfying the given conditions or carefully explain why it is impossible to find functions F and G satisfying the given conditions.

(a) lim f(x) = 5, lim g(x) does not exist, but lim( f(x) - g(x)) does exist
x>2 x>2 x>2

(b) lim f(x) does not exist and lim g(x) does not exist
x>1 x>1
but lim ( f(x) - g(x) ) = -2
x>1

2. Consider the folling piecewise defined function

f(x) = { x^2 +1 if x is rational
{ 1 if x is irrational

Evaluate each of the following limits. Clearly explain your reasoning.

lim f(x) lim f(x)
x>0 x>2

3. Use the Table for the function y = f(x) to answer the following questions

x == f(x) == x == f(x)
0 4.5 2.2 3.7
.2 4.7 2.4 3.5
.4 5.2 2.6 3.4
.6 5.7 2.8 3.1
.8 6.0 3.0 1.6
1.0 6.1 3.2 1.4
1.2 6.5 3.4 1.3
1.4 6.4 3.6 1.4
1.6 6.1 3.8 1.7
1.8 5.2 4.0 2.1
2.0 4.0 4.2 2.8

(a)Explain a reasonable way to estimate the slope of the tangent line at the point x=2 on the graph of y=f(x + 1), then give an estimate of the slope.
(b) Explain a reasonable way to estimate the slope of the tangent line at the point with x=2 on the graph of y=f(x) +1, then give an estimate of the slope
(c) In general how is the slope of the tangent line to the graph of y = f(x) at the point with x = a related to the slope of the tangent line to the graph of y = f(x) +b at the point with x =a ? Give justification for your response.

well i think i might be able to helo. I'm not sure but if you learned how to find the slope using the instantaneous rate formula let me know If not im not sure then but the instantaneous rate of change slope formula would apply to (
a)Explain a reasonable way to estimate the slope of the tangent line at the point x=2 on the graph of y=f(x + 1), then give an estimate of the slope.