Linear Algebra - Writing solutions as a span of vectors

JaiLit51853

Hi there,

I have this 2x5 augmented matrix that represents a homogenous and am supposed to write all solutions as a span of three vectors. (Do not have written question to post).

| 0 1 -1 -1/2 | 0 |
| 0 0 0 0 | 0 |

I know that 0a + b - c - (1/2)d = 0.
B is the leading variable, so a, c, and d are all free variables.

I rewrote the equation into this: b = 0a + c + (1/2)d
I know that a=a, c=c, and d=d.

I then tried to write the solution using vectors:

| a | = | a |
| b | = | c + (1/2)d |
| c | = | c |
| d | = | d |

| 1 | | 0 | | 0 |
= a | 0 | + c | 1 | + d | 1/2 |
| 0 | | 1 | | 0 |
| 0 | | 0 | | 1 |

So therefore the solution in the proper form would be:

{ | 1 | | 0 | | 0 | }
{ | 0 | , | 1 | , | 1/2 | }
{ | 0 | | 1 | | 0 | }
{ | 0 | | 0 | | 1 | }

But my answer is wrong, and I really can't figure out why. I watched lots of videos online to try to figure out where I made mistakes and my method still makes sense to me.
Any comments/help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
a, c and d can be any real number but b (NOT B) = c + (1/2)d
So let a=r, c=s and d=t
So the solutions are a=r, b= s + .5t, c= s and d=t

I have this 2x5 augmented matrix that represents a homogenous and am supposed to write all solutions as a span of three vectors. (Do not have written question to post).
| 0 1 -1 -1/2 | 0 |
| 0 0 0 0 | 0 |
Your notation is a total mystery to me.
If I were you, then I would post the original question in the complete original wording.
Maybe we can help you, if we can read the question.

a, c and d can be any real number but b (NOT B) = c + (1/2)d
So let a=r, c=s and d=t
So the solutions are a=r, b= s + .5t, c= s and d=t
Thank you Jomo! I understand this (I probably should've wrote it this way), but am confused as to why the solution set I got when I put in that information is incorrect. Pka, thanks for letting me know. I just realized that the notation could be confusing typed and will rewrite it on paper and post a picture. I will try harder to find the original question and will post it here if I can.

On the 2nd image, the 2nd equal sign is nonsense.
Oh, why is that? I'm fairly sure it has to go into parametric form after the second equal sign, did I just mess up badly? I did it first and watched this video to check for mistakes but thought it was the same (watch).

The middle term is a sum of vectors while the right side is a list of 3 vectors. Why would you think that they are equal? When you add three vectors you get a single vector, NOT a list of three vectors. I know what you meant to write but you did not. Your equal signs MUST be valid!

Oh shoot you're right! The equals sign shouldn't be there. I think I forgot to write the last step in the original, the answer I was looking for is just the three vectors. I had to find the form with the scalars attached to the vectors so I could then write the list of vectors.