Linear equation graph with ranges question

heffmoo

Hi I have a question I am stuck on

My graph is domain -10 < x <10 and range -10 < y < 10

I have been given a list of y=mx+b equations and have to plot the lines to make up a picture(which I understand how to find the slope and the y intercept) and how to plot the points of the line
but under each equation its giving me a range like this which I am not sure what to do with i.e.:

y=-4x-12
-5 ≤ x ≤-4
or
x=-3
-2 ≤ y ≤ 0

I have been given a list of y=mx+b equations and have to plot the lines to make up a picture(which I understand how to find the slope and the y intercept) and how to plot the points of the line
but under each equation its giving me a range like this which I am not sure what to do with i.e.:

y=-4x-12
-5 ≤ x ≤-4
or
x=-3
-2 ≤ y ≤ 0
Please post a photo of the question.

y=-4x-12
-5 ≤ x ≤-4
or
x=-3
-2 ≤ y ≤ 0
It's telling you how much of the graph to draw. So for y=-4x-12, the first point will be when x=-5, ie (-5, 8) and the last point when x=-4, ie (-4, 4). So you need to draw just that little part of the whole line y=-4x-12.
Note that the usual convention is to place a solid dot ● at the ends corresponding to <= and an open dot ○ at the ends corresponding to < (ie no equal sign).

Im still a little bit confused

So for y=-4x-12 my Slope is -4/1 and y-intercept is -12

So my first point is (0,-12)
My second point would be (-1,-8)

Then I just change both X values for the -5 and -4 respectfully?

I can see you're coordinates fall on my line but not quite sure how to get there

Attachments

• 20210117_160108.jpg
    20210117_160108.jpg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 3
#1) Lightly draw (or at least see) the lines x=-5 and x=-4.
Now plot any points on the line y=-4x-12. As usual find three points on the line NOT taking into account that x is between -5 and -4. Draw only the part of the line that are between x=-5 and x=-4.

#2) x can only be between -1 and 1. Draw the line y=-5 using any method you have learned but only draw the part of the line where x is between -1 and 1 (ie between the lines x=-1 and x=1)

The rest are the same. Post back showing your work so we can see if you are making any mistakes.

Thanks guys I got it ?

It's crazy to think how many calculations a program like Photoshop is doing compared to drawing something line by line ?

Attachments

• 20210117_182842.jpg
    20210117_182842.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5