Linear equations with unknown coefficient question

mgodi

I'm studying through Khan Academy and just want clarification from the picture below. Working from row four to row five below, the guy says, "I'm going to multiply everything by -1 just to get rid of all those negative signs." That I think I get. But what if I just want to solve the problem with all the negative signs? I solved through a did not multiply by -1 to get rid of all the negative signs and got: x=(-8-5a)/(-a-b). So that answer means the same thing as the one he go below in the picture? I'm not sure I understand how that works? ......... edited grouping symbols
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.32.20 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm studying through Khan Academy and just want clarification from the picture below. Working from row four to row five below, the guy says, "I'm going to multiply everything by -1 just to get rid of all those negative signs." That I think I get. But what if I just want to solve the problem with all the negative signs? I solved through a did not multiply by -1 to get rid of all the negative signs and got: x=-8-5a/-a-b. So that answer means the same thing as the one he go below in the picture? I'm not sure I understand how that works?
View attachment 26050
\(\displaystyle \frac{-8-5*a}{-a - b} \ = \ \frac{(-1) * (8 + 5*a)}{(-1) * (a + b)} \ =\ \frac{8 + 5*a}{a + b} \)