linear equations

Uber Fr0g

this is a manufacturing resource allocation problem. Im not quite sure how to set it up. I need to turn the word problem into inequalities. Can someone just set it up for me. I need it set up in inequality equations that i can use to work out and find points on a graph. Heres the problem.

Electronics firm manufactures 2 types of computers. A standard model that requires and expenditure of $400 and 40 hours of labor. A portable model that requires $250 and 30 hours of labor. The firm has $20,000 capitol and 2,160 labor hours available.WHat is the maximum number of computers the company is capable of producing.

Do you have trouble with word problems in general? I know that when I was in Algebra, I had a heck of a time doing word problems because you have to read them and figure out what is being asked of you. I got frustrated with them easily.
The way to handle this is just sit back and run through the word problem in your head. What information are you being given? What are you being asked to do?
. . .
Information given:

1) There are two different types of computers being manufactured. Let's label the two of them computer "a" and computer "b", where computer "a" is the standard computer and computer "b" is the portable one. Now you have two variables.

2) Computer "a" costs $400 to make. It also takes 40 hours to make.

3) Computer "b" costs $250 to make. It also takes 30 hourse to make.

4) The company has $20,000 to spend makinf these computers and 2160 hours to work.
. . .
Ok, now what the problem is asking you is to set up equations so that you can see how many "a" and "b" are made in this time and with this amount of money.
. . .
If you still need help, please let me know and I will help you set up the equations. Otherwise, I would like to see you try this next part out yourself.

i tried but i cant really go anywere with it.

I have
P= 400x1+ 250x2(objective function)
40x1+30x2 less tah but equal to 2,160(problem constraints)
x1,x2 Greater than but equal to zero (cant make zero computers)

But when i work those out i only get 1 line for my graph, therefore i cant really find a solution region on a graph.....im lost.

ok, there are two pieces to this problem.

20000 = 400a + 250b

and

2160 = 40a + 30b

See what you can do from there.

i get the points ( 80,0) (50,0) for the first equation
the points (72,0)(0,54) for the second

Is that right? seems to be but im awful at math :(

Uber Fr0g said:
i get the points ( 80,0) (50,0) for the first equation
the points (72,0)(0,54) for the second
What do you mean by "getting points" "for the equations"?

The reasoning has been explained and you have been provided with the equations. Your post refers to "inequalities" but your subject line refers to "equations", so I'm not sure what method you are supposed to be using for finding the solution. It would help if you clarified which type of system you're working on, and explained how you're getting your "answers".

Thank you.

Eliz.

oh sorry, basically we take the word problem, turn it into inequalities. Work out the inequalities as is the greater than or lesser than signs are actually = signs. We break them down into slope intercept form i believe?? To get the points for the line to graph the inequality. Sorry if i was confusing, i was typing slower than i was thinking. :D

Anyways i worked it out and got it right. SO thanks for your help!