linear equations

kathy's

Two students, Codi and Kent, teamed up to solve a system of linear equations- Equations 1 and 2. Codi made a table result of values for equations1, and Kent made one for equation. Here are the results:
Equation1:
X: -3, -1, 1, 3
Y: 9, 4,-1,-6
Equation 2:
X:-2,-1, 0, 2
Y: 6.5, 4, 1.5, -3.5
Using the students’ results, what is the solution to this system of equations? Show all your work.
I don’t even know were to begin so please help. :cry: :cry: :cry: :?: :?: :? :cry:

(-1,4). If you plug the x value of your system's solution into either of the two equations you should end up with the same y-value (4 in this case).

kathy's said:
Two students, Codi and Kent, teamed up to solve a system of linear equations- Equations 1 and 2. Codi made a table result of values for equations1, and Kent made one for equation. Here are the results:
Equation1:
X: -3, -1, 1, 3
Y: 9, 4,-1,-6
Equation 2:
X:-2,-1, 0, 2
Y: 6.5, 4, 1.5, -3.5
Using the students’ results, what is the solution to this system of equations? Show all your work.
I don’t even know were to begin so please help. :cry: :cry: :cry: :?: :?: :? :cry:

If the system of linear equations has a unique solution, then there is one and only one point which lies on both lines (this is the point at which the two lines intersect).

Look at the tables created by Cody and Kent.....do you see that the point (-1, 4) is in BOTH tables? This point, then, lies on both of the lines and is the solution for the system. No other points in the tables are the same.

I'm not sure what "work" you could show for this....