Linear programming to Simplex: A cable company offers three types of products...

Emmet

Hi I need help solving this question from a past paper. I have the exam on Wednesday coming (from home). I know how to do part (B). Thank you!!
Maths help.jpg

Hi I need help solving this question from a past paper. I have the exam on Wednesday coming (from home). I know how to do part (B). Thank you!!
View attachment 36241

So you know how to find the solution via the Simplex method, but you don't know how to set up the linear-programming system of inequalities?

So you know how to find the solution via the Simplex method, but you don't know how to set up the linear-programming system of inequalities?
Yes

I am repeating this exam after being given a chance to do it again after a year. I have forgotten how to do part (a)

I would greatly appreciate your help with this. I will have to do question 3 on the exam day otherwise

Last edited by a moderator:
I am repeating this exam after being given a chance to do it again after a year. I have forgotten how to do part (a)

Ah. So, over the past year, you've forgotten the algebra part, and are needing lesson instruction.

Unfortunately, attempting to teach the chapter (or course?) within this environment is not reasonably feasible. Fortunately, there are loads of lessons available online, such as in this listing. Please study *at least two* lessons from the list, and then attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, you can reply with a clear posting of your steps and reasoning so far, at which point we can begin to work with you.

Thank you!

Ah. So, over the past year, you've forgotten the algebra part, and are needing lesson instruction.

Unfortunately, attempting to teach the chapter (or course?) within this environment is not reasonably feasible. Fortunately, there are loads of lessons available online, such as in this listing. Please study *at least two* lessons from the list, and then attempt the exercise. If you get stuck, you can reply with a clear posting of your steps and reasoning so far, at which point we can begin to work with you.

Thank you!
I will check that out. Is part (a) long?. Do you know how to do it?

Thank you!

I will check that out. Is part (a) long?. Do you know how to do it?

Part (a) is just a set of inequalities, with one equation. Yes, I know how to do it. But I'm not the one who's taking the test.

Part (a) is just a set of inequalities, with one equation. Yes, I know how to do it. But I'm not the one who's taking the test.
Can you show me the formulae or give me a clue at least, please. I'm not doing the test today. That's the past paper above. I have until the end of the month and once I open it, the clock is ticking and I must upload before time runs out. It would save me a lot of digging if someone could show me this

Can you show me the formulae or give me a clue at least, please. I'm not doing the test today. That's the past paper above. I have until the end of the month and once I open it, the clock is ticking and I must upload before time runs out. It would save me a lot of digging if someone could show me this

I'm sorry, but doing your test for you would be a violation of this site's rules.

You can find any number of "clues" in the lessons at the link I provided earlier.

Kindly please re-read the "Read Before Posting" message, study at least two lessons from the link, and reply with the requested information.

Thank you!

I'm sorry, but doing your test for you would be a violation of this site's rules.

You can find any number of "clues" in the lessons at the link I provided earlier.

Kindly please re-read the "Read Before Posting" message, study at least two lessons from the link, and reply with the requested information.

Thank you!
Ok. It's not the test. I'm studying for the test. To study, you must see the information first. It's not cheating. I don't get the issue. Thanks anyway

If I were to solve this problem, I'll start with explicitly defining the FIND of the problem (what do we need to find)
1692059338121.png
I want to maximize profit within given constraints. I would next define following variables,

# of single offering customers = C1
# of double offering customers = C2 and
# of triple offering customers = C3

The first constraint I see is 1692059751771.png

I need to write the above constraint mathematically in terms of C1 , C2 & C3. What would be that equation?

Continue......

If I were to solve this problem, I'll start with explicitly defining the FIND of the problem (what do we need to find)
View attachment 36246
I want to maximize profit within given constraints. I would next define following variables,

The first constraint I see is View attachment 36247

I need to write the above constraint mathematically in terms of C1 , C2 & C3. What would be that equation?

Continue......
IMG_8965.jpg
Is this correct?. Thank you for your response :)

View attachment 36246

The first constraint I see is View attachment 36247

Continue......
IMG_8974.jpg
Correct?

How did you arrive at your percentages? What was your reasoning? How did you get 30,000, 50,000, and 120,000 as constraint values?

I agree with your maximization formula for the profit:

[imath]\qquad P = 15x_1 + 18x_2 + 16.5x_3[/imath]

But I don't understand the rest of what you've done...? And I'm not seeing the most basic of constraints, which would reflect the fact that no package can have a negative number of subscribers.

I don't - because x1, x2 & x3 have not been defined!!
True. I assumed that the OP was using [imath]x_i[/imath] in the manner in which you'd used [imath]C_i[/imath]. But I should have stated such. Thank you!

I don't - because x1, x2 & x3 have not been defined!!
IMG_9183.jpg
They cannot exceed 200,000. That is where I got the numbers on the right. The current constraints will not give a ratio. Dividing the b by 1 will not give a ratio and the previous solution above does not give a proper ratio either. My old notes do not have an example of this. The constraints are given in all the examples that I have