Linear type algebra

sparkleandpop

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the beginning algebra forum but here goes.

1. The table of data below is linear.
a. Determine each of the missing table values.

x y
-2 19.2
3.6 (blank)
8 -16.8
(blank) -41.64
24.8 (blank)

b. Determine the linear function (where y is a function of x) that would model the table values.

Please show work and formulas for how you got your answer. THANK YOU!!

1. The table of data below is linear.
a. Determine each of the missing table values.

x y
-2 19.2
3.6 (blank)
8 -16.8
(blank) -41.64
24.8 (blank)
I don't see how they're expecting you to do this part first, since they haven't given you evenly spaced inputs. I'd do part (b) first, and then plug into the formula to get the values for part (a).

b. Determine the linear function (where y is a function of x) that would model the table values.
They've told you that the points are generated by a linear function, so you know that the equation is of the form "y = mx + b". They've given you two points having both of the coordinates. When you used these points, what value did you get for the slope? (here) When you took this slope and either of these points, what line equation did you get? (here) ;)

That's not the purpose of this forum. We've happy to help you with your math and give you hints to steer you in the right direction, but we don't do your homework. That's your job. Stapel gave you a very nice hint for part b. Did you use that suggestion? What did you get? Did you get stuck again? If so, that's okay. But when you reply back, be sure you include all of your work and reasoning, even if you know it's wrong.

I'm in a bind and need to know how to do this. If anyone knows please post
We do know. Did you read the first reply? Did you make any attempt to follow the steps you were given? Or are you saying that you need first to have lesson instruction, so that you can understand those steps?

Please be specific. Thank you! ;)