Logarithm

Yuseph

Yo guys,
Whats an antilog ? Why is there an exercice where log is swaping over and it does not make it an antilog ? Not much about it on the net

Edit : notice that im a junior member now

Attachments

• 20200923_173604.jpg
    20200923_173604.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 6
  • 20200923_173551.jpg
    20200923_173551.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 6
Then defined antilog for you. Look to the left of where it says antilog then look to the right of antilog and then you have the definition!

Yo guys,
Whats an antilog ? Why is there an exercice where log is swaping over and it does not make it an antilog ? Not much about it on the net

Edit : notice that im a junior member now
The antilog is the inverse of the log function. Since the log function is the inverse of the exponential function, that means antilog is just another name for exponential.

So in base 10, the antilog of x is 10^x.

Its weird that its not written antilog10 0,57040. Is the 10 implied here ?
But yea ok I got it

The old convention was that

[MATH]log(x) \equiv log_{10}(x).[/MATH] Common logarithm.

[MATH]ln(x) \equiv log_e(x).[/MATH] Natural logarithm.

Among calculus teachers today, many like [MATH]log(x) \equiv log_e(x) \equiv ln(x).[/MATH]
Personally, I prefer the old convention although I understand why the proposed change is handy in calculus.

Its weird that its not written antilog10 0,57040. Is the 10 implied here ?
But yea ok I got it
I don't think "antilog" is used as a proper function name (or, as you suggest, it would have to indicate the base). It is just a word for what they are doing, applying the inverse function of the log.

I don't know that I have ever seen it actually used in an equation. I think the term is usually used in connection with the "common" (base ten) logarithm and tables, and is left over from the era when that was the usual way most people saw logarithms.

I do see it defined in general here, including a subscript.