Logarithmic Functions

startingover

I have just started this chapter and I am confused on how to do some of the more complicated problems like the one below. Will you give me the proper steps?

IN ^e (3squareroot of e)/e^1/3

Thanks

How did you get to calculus without ever having seen natural logs before? (You don't seem aware that "ln" is "ell-enn", not "EYE-ENN", and this should have been covered extensively in a pre-calculus course, is why I ask.)

Have you studied logs at all?

Eliz.

P.S. What are the instructions for this expression?

startingover said:
I got into a calculus class because I started out where I left off 15 years ago.
Ah. They should have administered a placement test first, so you wouldn't have landed in a class for which you're not prepared. You might want to submit a complaint in this regard, or at least have a serious heart-to-heart with your academic advisor. They shouldn't have taken your money for a course for which they hadn't first confirmed your preparation, at least not in my opinion. :?

I would suggest that, since you don't appear to have the necessary algebra background for calculus, you consider dropping this course and falling back a few. Look through the course catalog, and maybe flip through the texts in the bookstore, to try to figure out which course (college algebra? pre-algebra? etc) covers topics with which you are familiar. That course, or the next one, would probably be the better place to start your renewed studies.

Congratulations on going back to school! :D

Eliz.

I am taking this course thru independent study. I thought that the textbook would be more helpful and give more examples than it actually does. I only have 8 more lessons before I finish this course and have managed to maintain a solid B average, there is no way I am backing out now. I had thought this site would help explain things that the book omitted or at least give me other resources...?

For this problem, all you need to know are the rules:

Log[a b] = Log[a] + Log

Log[a^b] = b Log[a]

etc. Do these rules look familiar?

startingover said:
I thought this site would help explain things that the book omitted....
I'm afraid it isn't reasonably feasible to teach lessons within this environment. I apologize for any confusion. In the future, if you are requesting lessons, it might be helpful if you specified such. Then we could have provided links such as:

. . . . .lessons on exponentials

. . . . .lessons on logarithms

. . . . .lessons on log rules

My best wishes to you in your studies.

Eliz.