Looking for tips to help me achieve high school degree- this is my 4th shot!

SydNova

Hello, I hope this thread allows me to post this here!

I tried and failed year 11 three times, and now I am 21 years old and am giving year 12 a good shot. So far I have been outstanding with other subjects (I am really proud of finally learning dedication!), but still, I am struggling with the subject I've always wanted to be good at; and that is mathematics.
My goal in life is to be an astronomer. An astronomer needs to be great with maths! I have always loved a challenge, perhaps it comes from my sporty personality.
Anyway, I am quite behind in mathematics. I am looking here for tips/motivation/discussion/reaching out etc.
I am on my break and have a test coming up. In that test, I am going to have to know about the following:
  • Composite/Inverse/Power/Application of functions.
  • Linear equations (Literal, simultaneous, coordinate geometry, matrices)
  • Transformations (Translations, Dilations, Reflections, etc)
  • Polynomial functions (Quadratic, parabola rule, general cubic function, etc)
I should note that because I am far behind now, it gets harder and harder to pick up that textbook. Also, am diagnosed with ADHD so that adds onto things too, but I really want to beat that side of me!
All in all, I am a struggling student who really is not a natural at maths, but I want to be able to push through all of that and be good at what I've always wanted to achieve in. A lot of people think I am silly for this, and they are probably right, but it's my life and I choose to make it difficult like this xD Hopefully it can work out, so I keep trying.
Any form of input really would be appreciated!

With much love,
SydNova

Hi SydNova. Are you taking online courses? What are your options for getting more time? Does your diagnosis entitle you to extra services and consideration?

Please start a couple new threads with current exercises you need help with. We'd like to see where you're at and a sample of your work. Here's a link to our guidelines summary.

?

Hey @SydNova, Im not sure Ill be any help with math and learning and that stuff, but being someone who also struggles with math and gets easily distracted, improvement outside the classroom is just as important as improving inside the classroom. Here are some tips:
  • Get rid of extra energy. Avoid caffine and sugar if youre going to be working at a desk for a while. A snack helps too. The brain feeds off glucose, so snacks help a lot
  • Try listening to some music, A lot of people find that classical and lo-fi beats will help improve focus. (look on spotify and youtube for some great playlists). I would recommend using either lightweight padded headphones (beats,bose, jbl etc.) or a speaker, or the bose soundwear companion (i personally love this thing) earbuds can build up pressure in the head causing headaches which make it impossible to concentrate.
  • Make a good, organized work space. Clear all distractions like ads online, and thins in your workspace that you dont need. Get a desk thats the right height and a chair that fits you (mesh chairs last longer and have better airflow so you stay cool). Look into a standing desk. Lots of people with adhd or high energy find that standing is better. Maybe a wobble chair/cushion will help too.
  • Take a break every hour or so. Doodle (zentangles are good) or stretch, stuff like that.
  • Aromatherapy can also help. Scents like cinnamon and peppermint and eucalyptus improve focus. Look into getting a oil difuser.
  • Look into getting a math tutor (online ir in person) and find some practice problems. Khan academy is good for those
  • Try getting some blue light blocking glasses (Zenni Optical has the best and theyre cheap). Electronic devices give off lots of blue light, and it damages the eyes. Blue light causes bad sleep, difficulty focusing, and sometimes memory trouble.

So, I hope you see that your struggle isnt only because of ADHD or being bad at math, it could be multiple other things. Im only 15, but i struggled for a while too. Just try doing some of these things, and I think that youre going to see how well it works! They helped me, and they should help you too. Good luck!

Last edited: