???Lost in Florida???

cr8zy4jj

Can someone please look at these questions and tell me what you come up with... I am super stuck..and trying to get ready for a midterm..... I need help.......thank you and please respond with any answers you have.......THanks..
Jason

1)

m^2-7m/m-5 + 10/m-5

2)

Simplify only
y^2-5y-24 / y^2-3y-40 *fraction*

3) Find the reciprocal

4y^2 + 5 y

cr8zy4jj said:
Can someone please look at these questions and tell me what you come up with... I am super stuck..and trying to get ready for a midterm..... I need help.......thank you and please respond with any answers you have.......THanks..
Jason

1)

m^2-7m/m-5 + 10/m-5

2)

Simplify only
y^2-5y-24 / y^2-3y-40 *fraction*

You posted these exact questions here before. You were given some suggestions then, and asked to show us what you've done. Posting the same questions AGAIN, with no work shown, isn't likely to get a better response.

3) Find the reciprocal

4y^2 + 5 y

cr8zy4jj said:
1)
m^2-7m/m-5 + 10/m-5
Your first task is to practice writing. I will LITERALLY interpret wht you have written. My interpretation will be according to the standard rules known as "Prder of Operations"

m^2-7m/m-5 + 10/m-5 = \(\displaystyle m^{2} - \frac{7m}{m} - 5 + \frac{10}{m} - 5 = m^{2} - 7 - 5 + \frac{10}{m} - 5 = m^{2} + \frac{10}{m} - 17\)

My guess is that this is not what you intended. Use parentheses to clarify intent.

Perhaps this

\(\displaystyle \frac{m^{2}-7m}{m-5} - \frac{10}{m-5}\)

You absolutely did not write that.

1) Combine over a single fractions. Just add the numerators, since the denominators are already the same.
2) You should be able to factor the numerator.
3) One factor of the numerator should look familiar.
4) Finish simplifying.
5) Think about what you have done. Is your final expression EXACTLY the same as where you started? Even at m = 5?

I did not get the reciprocal one.. I got the other one..and I dont know how to do the parentheses or post diagrams.. is there a forum where I can learn how to do that??

Jason

No Parentheses

m-10/m-5

Parentheses

(m-10)/(m-5)

Why is that hard?

without parentheses m-10/m-5 means:

\(\displaystyle m - \frac{10}{m} - 5\)

with parentheses (m-10)/(m-5) means:

\(\displaystyle \frac{m-10}{m-5}\)

Simple application of PEMDAS - like TK said ... why is it so hard?