Lost wandering lover of math, looking for advice

Jarik25

I've been searching for ways to start getting deep into math. I love it with all my being. My problem is this: I'm just stabbing around in the dark. Any advice on how to learn more?

Thank you!

P.S. Has anyone read "The Calculus Wars"?

No, I haven't read it, but it's about the battle between Newton and Leibniz, isn't it?.

2 other good book for you to read is "Prime Obsession", by John Derbyshire and "Euler, Master of Us All", by William Dunham.

Oh, yeah, it's a very good book. I'm on Ch5. I havn't come across those books in our library yet, but I'll keep an eye out for them. I'm always looking for math history books. It does give some idea of where I need to go in it.

An out of date reply

Hey Jarik,

If you have the passion to pursue mathematics on your own, and you want it without the incomprehensible notation of ordinary textbooks, I would recommend the Art of Problem Solving Books. They're not particularly cheap, but they cost less than most textbooks, and they lead you through mathematics in a manner that focuses on intuitive understanding. They can be ordered at http://www.artofproblemsolving.com.
I would also recommend The Art and Craft of Problem Solving - which can be bought on amazon.

There are excerpts for the first one on their website.

Hope this helps.

Yes, the Art of Problam Solving books are nice.

Try "Inroduction to Number Theory and Introduction to Counting and Probability".