Lumber Dimension Question: actual size of dimensional lumber 2 × 10?

kiwi

Lumber Dimension Question: actual size of dimensional lumber 2 × 10?

Hello everyone I have a lumber dimensional question that reads

"What is the actual imperial size of a dimensional lumber 2 × 10?"

I know that the dimension of the lumber is 2 by 10, but how would I go about find the imperial size?

Thank you very much.

I can't say as though I'm familiar with the terminology of "imperial size," but after some Googling, I believe your problem essentially boils down to: You have a piece of lumber with dimensions measured in meters and you want to convert to feet and inches. Assuming that's a correct interpretation, let's use some known facts to see if we can't figure it out. We know that 1 inch = 2.54 cm, so 1 cm = (how many?) inches. One meter is 100 centimeters, so how many inches are in a meter? There are 12 inches in a foot, so how many feet are in one meter? Then how many feet and inches is 2 meters? How many feet and inches is 10 meters? What does that make the overall size of the piece of lumber? If my interpretation of the problem statement is not correct, please reply with any necessary corrections, including the exact, word-for-word definition of "imperial size" as used by your textbook/instructor. Thank you.

Hi guys I am back. The practice quiz I'm doing is multiple choice.

The question reads

A. 2 inches × 10 inches

B. 11/2 inches × 10 inches

C. 11/2 inches × 91/4 inches

D. 2 inches × 91/2 inches

I was reading on the concept of size in the text and it said.

The concept of "nominal size" (lumber size before it is surfaced) is only used when expressing lumber sizes in the imperial system. To date, no hard metric lumber sizes have been standardized. All lumber is manufactured to customary imperial sizes but expressed in millimetres as a soft conversion. Although the imperial nominal sizes are very much a part of the construction industry, the SI metric system is the way of the future.

I could take a guess I'm not sure if I got the right answer though. If you guys can help that would be great.

Thank you.

Hi guys I am back. The practice quiz I'm doing is multiple choice.

The question reads

A. 2 inches × 10 inches
B. 11/2 inches × 10 inches
C. 11/2 inches × 91/4 inches
D. 2 inches × 91/2 inches

I was reading on the concept of size in the text and it said...

I could take a guess I'm not sure if I got the right answer....
I suspect the text provided a rule. If you Google "actual size dimensional lumber", you should quickly find resources such as this which provide the standard rules of thumb for this.

Apply the rules. ;)