"m-nth way" formula?

aribar

Trying to help out my brother but it's been 8 years since I've taken Pre-Calc so my memory is foggy.
This is his problem:
"the midpoint formula could be considered to be the "halfway" formula since it gives us the point that is 1/2 of the distance from the point P(x1, y1) to the point Q(x2, y2) develop a "m-nth way" formula that gives the point R(x3, y3) that is m/n of the distance from P to Q"
What does "m-nth" mean?

Trying to help out my brother but it's been 8 years since I've taken Pre-Calc so my memory is foggy.
Unfortunately, many of us have learned that attempting to "communicate" through a "translator" who doesn't "speak the language" is highly unlikely to result in success. Kindly please have your brother reply with his own thoughts and efforts.

The Midpoint Formula could be considered to be the "halfway" formula since it gives us the point that is 1/2 of the distance from the point P(x1, y1) to the point Q(x2, y2) develop a "m-nth way" formula that gives the point R(x3, y3) that is m/n of the distance from P to Q.

What does "m-nth" mean?
The Midpoint Formula, they point out, can be thought of as a "halfway" (or "one-half" or "one of two") formula because it returns a point one part of two of the way from one of a pair of points to the other point. An m-n-th formula would, in a similar manner, return a point which m parts of n parts (rather than only one part of two parts), where m is some number greater than zero but less than n.

;)