Manpower Plan

Sophia28

Please help me out on this.
You are the foreman of a building construction. Theproject engineer assigned you to determine theneeded number of workers for each phase of theconstruction. You know that a group of 5 skilled mencan finish one phase in 6 days while a group of5 unskilled men can finish one phase in 9 days. Theproject has 10 phases. The daily wage of an unskilledworker is PhP 400 while a skilled worker is PhP 700.The completion of the project should not exceed40 days. You will present the plan to the projectengineer. The decision will be based on mathematicalreasoning, accuracy, presentation, practicality, andefficiency

Please help me out on this.
You are the foreman of a building construction. Theproject engineer assigned you to determine theneeded number of workers for each phase of theconstruction. You know that a group of 5 skilled mencan finish one phase in 6 days while a group of5 unskilled men can finish one phase in 9 days. Theproject has 10 phases. The daily wage of an unskilledworker is PhP 400 while a skilled worker is PhP 700.The completion of the project should not exceed40 days. You will present the plan to the projectengineer. The decision will be based on mathematicalreasoning, accuracy, presentation, practicality, andefficiency

First figure out the cost for each team to complete a project. Which is less expensive? Suppose it were the skilled team - then 1 team could complete six projects in time leaving 4 days of slack time. So, if the skilled team was less expensive, hire two skilled teams; one for 6 projects and one for 4 projects. If you only have the two teams, one skilled and one unskilled, you will have to hire one team for part of the 10 projects and another for the remaining projects.

First figure out the cost for each team to complete a project. Which is less expensive? Suppose it were the skilled team - then 1 team could complete six projects in time leaving 4 days of slack time. So, if the skilled team was less expensive, hire two skilled teams; one for 6 projects and one for 4 projects. If you only have the two teams, one skilled and one unskilled, you will have to hire one team for part of the 10 projects and another for the remaining projects.

I did not get it because the skilled team can do only 1 phase in 6 days not 6 phases, and they have higher salary/expenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are the foreman of a building construction. The project engineer assigned you to determine the needed number of workers for each phase of the construction. You know that a group of 5 skilled men can finish one phase in 6 days while a group of 5 unskilled men can finish one phase in 9 days. The project has 10 phases. The daily wage of an unskilled worker is PhP 400 while a skilled worker is PhP 700.The completion of the project should not exceed 40 days. You will present the plan to the project engineer. The decision will be based on mathematical reasoning, accuracy, presentation, practicality, and efficiency
Are the numbers of men in "groups" fixed, or can you hire different numbers of workers? (I think it is necessary to allow for different numbers, and work in terms of "man-hours", in order to find any solution to this exercise.)

Thank you! ;)

Are the numbers of men in "groups" fixed, or can you hire different numbers of workers? (I think it is necessary to allow for different numbers, and work in terms of "man-hours", in order to find any solution to this exercise.)

Thank you! ;)
How much does a skilled team cost to do one project?
How much does an unskilled team cost to do one project?
How many complete projects can a skilled team do in 40 days?
How many complete projects can an unskilled team do in 40 days?

Choose the cheapest to do as much as they can in the 40 days and the other team to do the rest.

Thank you! ;)
Yes, you can hire different numbers of workers like 3 unskilled then 7 skilled but I dont know the right number of workers.

How much does a skilled team cost to do one project?
How much does an unskilled team cost to do one project?
How many complete projects can a skilled team do in 40 days?
How many complete projects can an unskilled team do in 40 days?

Choose the cheapest to do as much as they can in the 40 days and the other team to do the rest.[/Q

You are right, but i'm finding the right number of workers (skilled and unskilled) that when you combine them, they can to 1 phase for 4 days or less than that. And also cheap expenses.