Masonry - how many bricks

shbrin

the front side of a slim jumbo modular brick measures 2-1/8 in by 7-5/8 in. With a 1/4 in mortar joint, how many bricks would be needed per square yard (1296 square inches) on the front side of a wall

the front side of a slim jumbo modular brick measures 2-1/8 in by 7-5/8 in. With a 1/4 in mortar joint, how many bricks would be needed per square yard (1296 square inches) on the front side of a wall

I would add 1/4 inch to each dimension of a brick (thinking of each brick as "owning" the mortar on its top and right side, say, while the other sides are owned by others), and find the area of one brick. Then divide 1296 square inches by that area. (You could also think of each brick as owning half the thickness of mortar on each side.)

This will not take into account the extra mortar there would be on the top and right sides of the wall, but the effect of that depends on the proportions of the wall as a whole, so I am inclined to ignore it.

If this is a practical problem, I would estimate 70-75 bricks/sq.yd.

Using the exact dimensions, we get 69.29 bricks/yd^2.