Mass and Center of Mass of Surface

burt

I am working on the following problem:
1589856833448.png

As you can see, I did not finish working through it. I just would like to know if I am on the right track.

What I still need to do - solve the moment integrals. Take the \(\frac{\text{moment}}{\text{mass}}\) to get the \(\bar x\)etc. The center of mass is the \((\bar x,\bar y,\bar z)\).
Is this correct? And, is my work this far correct?

It's not clear to me what you are trying to do. You say "surface" and your integral is "dA" but you have a triple integral. Are you integrating over a surface or over a three dimensional region?

It's not clear to me what you are trying to do. You say "surface" and your integral is "dA" but you have a triple integral. Are you integrating over a surface or over a three dimensional region?
I don't know ... I must be misunderstanding something here - all I know for sure is the information in the question which is in my original post.
Maybe you can shed some light on the correct way to solve this?

The surface is the plane x+ 2y+ z= 4. So z= 4- x- 2y. A tangent vector in the x-direction is i- k A tangent vector in the y-direction is j- 2k. The cross product of those vectors
\(\displaystyle \left|\begin{array}{ccc} i & j & k \\ 1 & 0 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -2\end{array}\right|= -2i- j- 2k\) has length \(\displaystyle \sqrt{4+ 1+ 4}= \sqrt{9}= 3\). The differential of surface area" is 3dxdy.

(dxdy because I solved for z in terms of x and y. If I had solved for y= 2- x/2- z/2 I would have used dxdz. If I had solved for x= 4- 2y- z I would have used dydz.

The region here lies above the region in the xy-plane above \(\displaystyle y= x^2\) and below \(\displaystyle y= 1\). Those two curves intersect at x= -1 and x= 1 so to integrate over it take x from -1 to 1 and, for each x, y from \(\displaystyle x^2\) to 1. With density y the mass is \(\displaystyle \int_{x= -1}^1 \int_{x^2}^1 y(3dydx)= 3\int_{-1}^1\int_{x^2}^1 y dydx\).

The three moments are
\(\displaystyle M_{yz}= 3\int_{-1}^1\int_{x^2}^1 xy dydx\)
\(\displaystyle M_{xz}= 3\int_{-1}^1\int_{x^2}^1 y^2 dydx\)
\(\displaystyle M_{xy}= 3\int_{-1}^1\int_{x^2}^1 yz dydx= 3\int_{-1}^1\int_{x^2}^1 y(4- x- 2y) dydx\).

A tangent vector in the x-direction is i- k A tangent vector in the y-direction is j- 2k. The cross product of those vectors
Can you explain why you did this?

Is it because what I really should be doing to look for the mass is \(\iint\rho(x,y,z)\ dS\) and dS is the surface area integral - which means we need to put in the norm?

Why is this a surface integral problem?

If I do the work for the mass like a surface integral, I would have this:
1589927273402.png

I think I got it!
1589937747194.png
Is that right?

It looks right on a graph:
1589937833569.png