Math Curriculum and Education

Deinosuchus383

How does math curriculum usually progress(at least, depending on where you're from)?

In my experience, it seems to be Arithmetic, Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, Precalculus, and Calculus from K-12. College usually finishes the Calculus sequence in tandem with Linear Algebra and then higher math really starts opening up. In other words, after a certain point one discipline isn't really higher than others.

It was about the same, at my secondary schools.

Arithmetic, pre-algebra, beginning algebra, intermediate algebra, classical geometry, trigonometry, pre-calculus, calculus. If your grades were high enough, college-level courses were available, in the last year of high school.

The community colleges were the same (they offer remedial courses), except that there was no classical-geometry course available and the trignonometry and pre-calculus courses were combined into one.

:cool:

I'll speak from my own experience in school. The first four years were pre-algebra arithmetic; we started with addition and subtraction, then short multiplication and division, then long multiplication and division, then fractions (addition/subtraction followed by multiplication/division). I started algebra in year five, moving on to equation solving in year six. More of the same in year seven, then graphs, basic trigonometry and solving quadratic equations in year eight, calculus, more advanced trigonometry, and basic linear algebra (matrices) in years nine and ten. Then it was high school, when I did stuff like complex numbers, equivalence relations, differential equations and group theory. (FYI I started year one aged six (going on seven).)