Math editor

MaxMath

I find the math formula editing/rendering capability (powered by LaTeX) of this forum fascinating. This makes me want to have this capability readily available at my fingertips whenever I go and on whichever computer I use, not just limited to this forum. What's the best way to 'extend' such capability? For example, I want to freely typeset formulas when editing a Word Document just like editing a post here. Any tips and tricks?

I used LaTeX before and loved it (it was another implementation MiKTeX if I remember correctly). It requires installation of a program but now I cannot do this on my work laptop. Due to the lack of continued use, most of what I learned is gone!:cry:

I find the math formula editing/rendering capability (powered by LaTeX) of this forum fascinating. This makes me want to have this capability readily available at my fingertips whenever I go and on whichever computer I use, not just limited to this forum. What's the best way to 'extend' such capability? For example, I want to freely typeset formulas when editing a Word Document just like editing a post here. Any tips and tricks?

I used LaTeX before and loved it (it was another implementation MiKTeX if I remember correctly). It requires installation of a program but now I cannot do this on my work laptop. Due to the lack of continued use, most of what I learned is gone!:cry:
I use a (free) LaTeX word processor called Lyx.

-Dan

It's been pretty long time since I used math typesetting in MS Word, but at the time it was horrible, and there was no way of including LaTeX source code in the documents.

There is a way to use LaTeX-like typesetting in HTML by importing MathJax scripts. The magic incantation I am using (in the 'head' section of HTML) is:
HTML:
<script type="text/javascript" async
  src="https://cdnjs.cloudflare.com/ajax/libs/mathjax/2.7.2/MathJax.js?config=TeX-MML-AM_CHTML">
</script>

I hope the LaTeX engine is embedded in, or linked to, MS word, so we can type in math with scripts and toggle between the code and rendered formulas freely just like “fields”.

Its current formula function is too inconvenient to me if I’m not missing anything obvious.

I hope the LaTeX engine is embedded in, or linked to, MS word, so we can type in math with scripts and toggle between the code and rendered formulas freely just like “fields”.

Its current formula function is too inconvenient to me if I’m not missing anything obvious.
There is a LaTeX-lite embedded in WORD. It does not give you the full power. Am alternative is to do the math here in a message to yourself and insert it into word.

The LaTeX-lite option is an INSERT option under formula or equation.

When I want to do something intricate, I often use https://latex.codecogs.com/eqneditor/editor.php?mode=NEW . It doesn't quite match the version on this site, but it helps. And it's just a site, no downloads required.
The one I use is a very similar site but (I think) the interface looks a bit cleaner (& easier to see?); personal preference, of course.
I'll look into Lyx.
The Homepage makes it look great! I'm gonna try it out first chance I get! ?
Thanks @topsquark ??

There is a LaTeX-lite embedded in WORD. It does not give you the full power. Am alternative is to do the math here in a message to yourself and insert it into word.

The LaTeX-lite option is an INSERT option under formula or equation.
I tried but didn’t find it on my version of Word(actually dumb enough, I can’t find out it’s version. It’s my work computer). Can you please give a snapshot of it (I mean where you access it in Word) on your computer? Thanks!

I tried but didn’t find it on my version of Word(actually dumb enough, I can’t find out it’s version. It’s my work computer). Can you please give a snapshot of it (I mean where you access it in Word) on your computer? Thanks!
If you click on File then Help you should see which version of Word you are using in the area ringed (in red) on the picture below.

Visit
this webpage for information about using LaTex in Word. Pull down on the heading: “Type equations in linear format” for details.

At the top of the article (click “
More…”) it suggests the information provided applies to various versions from Word 2007 onwards (inter alia) and the option to ‘invoke’ it should appear just under File and to the right of \(\displaystyle \Huge\pi\)
when you are on the "Equation Tools Design" tab, however, in my copy (??) of Word 2010 there’s no sign of it (as the insert in the picture shows).

About.png

Great to know the existence of LeTeX features in MS Word. But unfortunately they are not available in my installation of Word. And I’m sure its version is not shown in the way described above. But thanks!

I use a (free) LaTeX word processor called Lyx.

-Dan
Thanks! A quick look of it brings back my memories of it. I looked into it when I was learning LaTeX, but never installed it for whatever reason. Probably will give it a try this time.

And don't forget Overleaf, which will be useful to people like me who are constrained by security protocols and unable to install software they like on their computers so have to use online applications.