Math exam tips

khris le

Does anyone have some tips/tricks they would like to share with me for an exam?

It would have been helpful if you stated the course the test will be on (like arithmetic or calculus).
I guess my answer would be the same regardless of the subject.
You should know each and every type of problem that could be on the test and know how to solve them. That is when you ask yourself how to do a particular problem you must know the steps in solving that problem. Only then are you ready for the test. Of course check over your work. For many math problems checking your solution will verify if you are correct or not. If your solution checks out then you know that you are correct. If you solution does not check out, then you know you made a mistake somewhere--so go and find your mistake. Having confidence that you will not be surprised by any question will really be helpful.

Hi. I always took math exams in passes. In the first pass, I would do exercises that were familiar. That is, after reading an exercise statement, if I immediately recognized the problem type or knew a good solution strategy, then I would do it. If I did not, then I would circle the question number and move on. In the second pass, I would work on the circled exercises, doing the ones that seemed more straight-forward and leaving the others for last. Sometimes, working a later exercise gives insight on an earlier exercise.

I would spend any remaining test time checking my answers.

I would not spend time agonizing over questions about which I felt clueless (especially if other exercises are unfinished). However, if there were still time and the instructor is generous with partial credits, I'd write out whatever thoughts -- or steps -- that I could.

Bring lots of scratch paper. Keep your scratch work neat and organized -- it really helps when you need to go over steps or when searching for goofs because an answer doesn't check.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]

To echo the Otis's comment: "I'd write out whatever thoughts -- or steps -- that I could.", I always tell my students do NOT leave a question/problem unanswered. If you don't know how to solve it, write down whatever you can about the problem, as leaving it blank guarantees 0 credit, while jotting down some relevant thoughts shows your instructor that you at least spent some time thinking about the problem. Take it one piece at a time. Sometimes describing it will trigger a few thoughts that will help you make some progress. Mentally ask yourself simple questions, like 'what am I looking at? (quadratic? exponential? derivative? etc....)'., and 'what do I know about that?'

Hi. I always took math exams in passes. In the first pass, I would do exercises that were familiar. That is, after reading an exercise statement, if I immediately recognized the problem type or knew a good solution strategy, then I would do it. If I did not, then I would circle the question number and move on. In the second pass, I would work on the circled exercises, doing the ones that seemed more straight-forward and leaving the others for last. Sometimes, working a later exercise gives insight on an earlier exercise.

I would spend any remaining test time checking my answers.

I would not spend time agonizing over questions about which I felt clueless (especially if other exercises are unfinished). However, if there were still time and the instructor is generous with partial credits, I'd write out whatever thoughts -- or steps -- that I could.

Bring lots of scratch paper. Keep your scratch work neat and organized -- it really helps when you need to go over steps or when searching for goofs because an answer doesn't check.

?

[imath]\;[/imath]
if this was an in person exam, we would not be allowed to bring any scrap paper into the room but luckily this the around it is online because of Covid. Thanks for responding. That's usually how I go about doing my exams, save the hardest problem for last.

To echo the Otis's comment: "I'd write out whatever thoughts -- or steps -- that I could.", I always tell my students do NOT leave a question/problem unanswered. If you don't know how to solve it, write down whatever you can about the problem, as leaving it blank guarantees 0 credit, while jotting down some relevant thoughts shows your instructor that you at least spent some time thinking about the problem. Take it one piece at a time. Sometimes describing it will trigger a few thoughts that will help you make some progress. Mentally ask yourself simple questions, like 'what am I looking at? (quadratic? exponential? derivative? etc....)'., and 'what do I know about that?'
I did that on a pervious exam. I did not leave any question black, I put the steps I could regarding the question even if my answer was incomplete and still got a mark of 0 for the question. I was like what :ROFLMAO: I at least deserved 1 mark for working. Thank you for your response.

Make sure you've worked hard all semester and get a good night's sleep the night before the exam.
I did the best I could do. Thank you.

It would have been helpful if you stated the course the test will be on (like arithmetic or calculus).
I guess my answer would be the same regardless of the subject.
You should know each and every type of problem that could be on the test and know how to solve them. That is when you ask yourself how to do a particular problem you must know the steps in solving that problem. Only then are you ready for the test. Of course check over your work. For many math problems checking your solution will verify if you are correct or not. If your solution checks out then you know that you are correct. If you solution does not check out, then you know you made a mistake somewhere--so go and find your mistake. Having confidence that you will not be surprised by any question will really be helpful.
Thank you. It's a general math exam, not based on one specific topic. So there's algebra, arithmetic and calculus.