Math for nursing school

bcruise

Solve the following proportions. Answers must appear in decimal form.This is the first problem 5:25=10:x
I do not know how to set this up in a formula to get the answers. Is there anyone that can help me with this problem.
We will go over it on Monday but am hoping to get a head start!

bcruise said:
Solve the following proportions. Answers must appear in decimal form.This is the first problem 5:25=10:x
I do not know how to set this up in a formula to get the answers. Is there anyone that can help me with this problem.
We will go over it on Monday but am hoping to get a head start!

First thing about solving problem is to figure out what is it that you are being asked to do or find.

What is it that you need to accomplish? Please write the complete problem.

The 1st line of the post is the how they want the answer and the numbers is the 1st problem.
I know the answer to number one.
It is .5 for the 1st half and .50 for the second jut don't know the formula to get the answers and the next 4 problems need the formula.
The 1st problem is:
5:25=10:x
Solve the proportions and answer must appear in decimal form.
That is all my test paper says??
Can you help me?

bcruise said:
The 1st line of the post is the how they want the answer and the numbers is the 1st problem.
I know the answer to number one.
It is .5 for the 1st half and .50 for the second jut don't know the formula to get the answers and the next 4 problems need the formula.
The 1st problem is:
That is all my test paper says??
Can you help me?

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{25} \ = \ \frac{10}{x}\)

Multiply both sidea by 25*x to get rid of fractions [If you know the term Lowest Common Multiple - LCM - 25x is LCM of the denominators]

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{25}(25*x) \ = \ \frac{10}{x}(25*x)\)

\(\displaystyle 5 \ * \ x \ = \ 10 \ * \ 25\)

Isolate x by dividing through with 5

\(\displaystyle \frac{5 \ * \ x \ }{5}= \ \frac{10 \ * \ 25}{5}\)

\(\displaystyle x \ = \ 50\)

So your proportion then becomes:

\(\displaystyle \frac{5}{25} \ = \ \frac{10}{50}\)

There are many other ways to do this problem - this is my favorite method.

Hi There-

And congratulations on getting into nursing school! I am a Registered Nurse myself and I still remember what it's like. Drug calculations can seem very, very daunting, but once you get the hang of it, it's a breeze!

Just remember that when it comes to the answer that is in decimal form, if the answer is less than 1 (e.g. .9, .45, etc.) ALWAYS include the leading zero. So, make sure you write 0.5 instead of .5. This is an industry standard to help prevent medication errors.

Jason, RN

Excellent advice - adding leading zero before decimal point (for |numbers| <1). This advice also holds true for engineering practice.