Math in our respective countries

Steven G

Elite Member
For the most part, math is not taught correctly. I have asked my students, who were college students, if I was the first math teacher that required them to think. They basically all responded yes. This is a severe problem. I once sat in a graduate level cryptography class for education major. All the students were current high school math teacher. The instructor thanked me for sitting in the class because he, a very recent PhD, said he was going to quit his job if it wasn't for me. These teachers knew nothing about math. Even I was sad seeing this.

All the helpers on this forum clearly understand that the students need to understand what is really going on and stop memorizing all their math. My daughter's friend got a 97% on her NYS Algebra 1 regents (not an easy test at all) and I was horrified at how little she really understood. It is a shame because this young girl could understand math but no one teaches it to her. What a shame!

I am wondering what we helpers can do? I am not sure what improvements there will be but maybe, as pka said, the minimum requirement to teach math at high school is to have a degree in math and education (I guess) and maybe even a masters in math. Maybe a real test that future teaches must pass with an A. How on earth can you receive a grade other than an A in courses that you want to teach!? There has to be something that can be done.

The same saying applies to choosing a doctor-"not every doctor graduates at the head of his class." I suppose If you really want to learn, you have to choose a good teacher. But that is not always within the power of the student.

I am wondering what we helpers can do? I am not sure what improvements there will be but maybe, as pka said, the minimum requirement to teach math at high school is to have a degree in math and education (I guess) and maybe even a masters in math. Maybe a real test that future teaches must pass with an A. How on earth can you receive a grade other than an A in courses that you want to teach!? There has to be something that can be done.
I totally agree. The problem is in attracting those who have a solid background in maths to the teaching profession. There are so many better paid jobs out there for people proficient in maths and quite often, unfortunately, it boils down to money.

You see, that's why Physics is better than any other career: You always know what to expect. By the time we get our degree we have forgotten just about every basic fact, and then try to teach those basic facts to others.

-Dan

Do you really believe everything your students tell you? Especially about how much better you are than all their other teachers? Students will always try to flatter their teachers. Have you wondered what they tell their other teachers about you?

You see, that's why Physics is better than any other career: You always know what to expect. By the time we get our degree we have forgotten just about every basic fact, and then try to teach those basic facts to others.

-Dan
"You always know what to expect"???

But you guys are always uncertain - since February 1927......

Do you really believe everything your students tell you? Especially about how much better you are than all their other teachers? Students will always try to flatter their teachers. Have you wondered what they tell their other teachers about you?
You can tell by their reaction that they agreed with me. Also, do you really think that high school teachers really motivate students to think? You know better than that. I really push my students to think and I doubt that they had other teachers who pushed them to think as much as I did. Sure if I taught in an university/4 year college where instructors had PhDs in math it may not be true. But I taught at a community college where all but 2 instructors ever taught calculus and above (Linear Algebra and Differential Equations). For the record, I do not always believe students. Half my students loved me and the other half hated me. If you had the ability and desire to understand math than you would have liked me. If you did not want to understand the material and just wanted to get out of the course with a passing grade than you probably did not like me.