Math Is the Great Secret

• Thread starter Deleted member 4993
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4993

Math Is the Great Secret .....Sept. 18, 2022, 6:00 a.m. ET....By Alec Wilkinson .......NYT

As a boy in the first weeks of algebra class, I felt confused and then I went sort of numb. Adolescents order the world from fragments of information. In its way, adolescence is a kind of algebra. The unknowns can be determined but doing so requires a special aptitude, not to mention a comfort with having things withheld. Straightforward, logical thinking is required, and a willingness to follow rules, which aren’t evenly distributed adolescent capabilities.

When I thought about mathematics at all as a boy it was to speculate about why I was being made to learn it, since it seemed plainly obvious that there was no need for it in adult life. Balancing a checkbook or drawing up a budget was the answer we were given for how math would prove necessary later, but you don’t need algebra or geometry or calculus to do either of those things.

But if I had understood how deeply mathematics is embedded in the world, how it figures in every gesture we make, whether crossing a crowded street or catching a ball, how it figures in painting and perspective and in architecture and in the natural world and so on, then perhaps I might have seen it the way the ancients had seen it, as a fundamental part of the world’s design, perhaps even the design itself. If I had felt that the world was connected in its parts, I might have been provoked to a kind of wonder and enthusiasm. I might have wanted to learn.

Five years ago, when I was 65, I decided to see if I could learn adolescent mathematics — algebra, geometry and calculus — because I had done poorly at algebra and geometry and I hadn’t taken calculus at all. I didn’t do well at it the second time, either, but I have become a kind of math evangelist.

Mathematics, I now see, is important because it expands the world. It is a point of entry into larger concerns. It teaches reverence. It insists one be receptive to wonder. It requires that a person play close attention. To be made to consider a problem carefully discourages scattershot and slovenly thinking and encourages systematic thought, an advantage, so far as I can tell, in all endeavors. Abraham Lincoln said he spent a year reading Euclid in order to learn to think logically.

Studying adolescent mathematics, a person is crossing territory on which footprints have been left since antiquity. Some of the trails have been made by distinguished figures, but the bulk of them have been left by ordinary people like me. As a boy, trying to follow a path in a failing light, I never saw the mysteries I was moving among, but on my second pass I began to. Nothing had changed about math, but I had changed. The person I had become was someone whom I couldn’t have imagined as an adolescent. Math was different, because I was different.

Five years ago, when I was 65, I decided to see if I could learn adolescent mathematics — algebra, geometry and calculus
By that time you had been a member of this forum for 10 years?

Learning new math at 65 is quite impressive I have to admit!

By that time you had been a member of this forum for 10 years?

Learning new math at 65 is quite impressive I have to admit!
Wait..wait..that's not me.... that's the author of the article for NYTimes.

I am however trying to learn Greek. My Greek -fluency is about 3 rd. grade level.

Math started wayyy-back. My grandfather made sure of that - I don't remember having a choice!!!

By the way - I am at the "prime" age of 73 ....

Wait..wait..that's not me.... that's the author of the article for NYTimes.

I am however trying to learn Greek. My Greek -fluency is about 3 rd. grade level.

Math started wayyy-back. My grandfather made sure of that - I don't remember having a choice!!!

By the way - I am at the "prime" age of 73 ....
Ooops again :( Will try to pay better attention the next time...

I remember trying to build a sundial around the age of 10, but the instructions included trigonometric functions for angles outside the first quadrant. My parents -- engineers both -- only new the definitions for right triangles. One older kid from the same apartment building remembered vaguely about unit circles and coordinate axes, but not enough to be helpful. Still remember the feeling of disappointment.

At age 10 I wanted to be a Mirconaut and kill stormtoopers with the Force.

Math didn't hold a lot of interest for me until half-way through algebra I in my Freshman year. Physics took hold earlier but that Math part just seemed unnecessary. (Hah!) But once we got to how to solve linear equations I just started going nuts.

(I actually didn't win the Math award at graduation. The woman that did beat me by about 0.01 points. She actually apologized to me and I essentially told her that I might indeed be more gifted than her but that she was the better student because she put in the time and effort to learn the material, even when she might not have been interested in it. She deserved it. My Senior High Math teacher gave me a set of Cross pens at graduation as an honorary gift.)

-Dan

Why would you need a choice of whether or not to study math?
All I can say is I am math and math is me. I just wish that I was better at it. I'm still bothered that I couldn't earn a terminal degree in math.

I'm still bothered that I couldn't earn a terminal degree in math.
Among many other things, the ground state desires to be bothered Steven; sometimes, it uses you. Neither is good nor bad. They're just happenings, and that's part of the Mother of all Great Secrets.

:)