Math logic: predicates and quantifiers

Handteg

I just want to know if I reached the correct conclusion. My conclusion was that the statement was true because r could just equal the reciprocal. Or did I make a mistake in understanding the statement? Does the statement mean that there is a single r, that when multiplied by any x, the statement is true? The problem is 8a. I have attached a photo of the exercise

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    920.5 KB · Views: 2
I just want to know if I reached the correct conclusion. My conclusion was that the statement was true because r could just equal the reciprocal. Or did I make a mistake in understanding the statement? Does the statement mean that there is a single r, that when multiplied by any x, the statement is true? The problem is 8a. I have attached a photo of the exercise

Let's make it readable:
1601416574433.png

Try writing out what the whole statement means in English, before answering the question:

For all x, ...​

This doesn't start with "a single r"; that comes later. Finish this, and we can discuss it.

Ask your self if the set of natural numbers is bounded above? Is the set of real numbers?
Does every real number have a multiplicative inverse?

Let's make it readable:
View attachment 21944

Try writing out what the whole statement means in English, before answering the question:

For all x, ...​

This doesn't start with "a single r"; that comes later. Finish this, and we can discuss it.
For all x there exists at least on one r such that x•r=1 is true.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you’re absolutely right haha. I can’t believe I didn’t consider 0.