Math Problem

xmira10

Hi,

I'm having difficulties with the Nelder and Mead method and have no clue how to solve this question. Can someone please help out? Its urgent!! Been busy figuring it out for 3 days straight????IMG_20200729_002058.jpg

I had no idea what the "Nelder and Mead method" was until I looked it up on the internet.

What I would do to "Find the stationary points of the function \(\displaystyle f(x,y)= x^2+ 3(y- 1)^4\)" is to set the "gradient" equal to 0. The gradient is \(\displaystyle grad f= \nabla f= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\vec{j}= 2x\vec{i}+ 12(y- 1)^3\vec{j}\). Setting that equal to 0 gives 2x= 0 and \(\displaystyle 12(y- 1)^3= 0\) so that x= 0 and y= 1. The only stationary point is (0, 1). The "Hessian" mentioned is the determinant \(\displaystyle \left|\begin{array}{cc}\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2} & \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x\partial y} \\ \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x\partial y} & \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2} \end{array} \right|=\)\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}\right)\left(\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial y^2}\right)_{edited}-\left(\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x\partial y}\right)^2= 2(12)- 0= 24\). Since that is positive the stationary point is a minimum.

Without being that technical, we could observe that \(\displaystyle x^2\) is a parabola opening upward while \(\displaystyle 3(y- 1)^4\) also opens upward. Again that tells us that the stationary point is a minimum.

Last edited by a moderator: