Math Problem

Debginger

Here is the problem:

The 90 eighth grade students were given a survey on their favorite ice cream. A total of 44 students like vanilla ice cream. A total of 32 like chocolate. Of those who like vanilla or chocolate ice cream, 14 like both flavors. How many students like neither type of ice cream?

The answer given to us is 28. I do not understand please help.

Debginger said:
Here is the problem:

The 90 eighth grade students were given a survey on their favorite ice cream. A total of 44 students like vanilla ice cream. A total of 32 like chocolate. Of those who like vanilla or chocolate ice cream, 14 like both flavors. How many students like neither type of ice cream?

Do you know how to use Venn Diagram?

Subhotosh Khan said:
Debginger said:
Here is the problem:

Yes.

Subhotosh Khan said:
Debginger said:
Here is the problem:

I know how to use a venn diagram. I tried it and I can put in the 44 and the 32 and I see where the 14 go that like both. Where does the 28 come from. How do I get the number of students that like neither? That is what I don't understand.

Debginger said:
Subhotosh Khan said:
Debginger said:
Here is the problem:

I know how to use a venn diagram. I tried it and I can put in the 44 and the 32 and I see where the 14 go that like both. Where does the 28 come from. How do I get the number of students that like neither? That is what I don't understand.

If you add all the people that like vanilla (44) and all the people that like chocolate (32) - you'll get number of people who like chocolate or vanilla, with one problem. You would have counted the people who like both - twice. So to get the correct number - you need subtract that from the addition. So

# of people who like Vanilla OR chocolate = 44 + 32 - 14 = 62

So the rest do not like either vanilla or chocolate = 90 - 62 = 28