math question

All right, thanks, but "enlarged it 400%" can mean 400% of the original side added to the original side correct?

I don't think anyone can resolve ambiguity "fully", Julian.

On one hand, this exercise involves a photocopier scenario; the student needs to be familiar with such machines, and that's no longer common knowledge. We're in the digital age now, so fancy software options exist to accomplish any interpretation. Common knowledge evolves. The exercise is ambiguous, but, due to boomer bias, "enlarged it 400%" means lengths quadruple.

In math, you'll experience a number of things not used consistently, in course materials or the real world. In a bonafide course, a student has definitions, or they resolve ambiguity at the source. When we practice and can't ask the source, each of us gets to decide. One could work it multiple ways, to be prepared or just for fun.

?
I do believe changing the wording to enlarging by a scale factor of four is better, and will cut out all ambiguity and concern though.

… "enlarged it 400%" can mean 400% of the original side added to the original side[,] correct?
Yes, it can! (I'm thinking others have already posted that.) Any justifiable interpretation is possible.

Please refresh my memory. This is not homework, correct?

\(\;\)

Yes, I am, but it’s online right now, so I’m kind of self learning by going ahead as my school isn’t really teaching right now